Guest Author: Gabriel Madison

Today I have pleasure of introducing you to Gabriel Madison. Gabriel's debut urban fantasy novel Three Seeds just released this past August.

Brief synopsis:
An unnatural cold front grows each day, bewildering world leaders and scientists, while leaving people across the world in a state of panic. All of North America is covered in snow, as Earth slowly reverts into a frozen oasis, causing religious groups to scream of the end of days, while others believe it's the beginning of a new and foretold era.
Reviewed by Bitten by Books
"Gabriel Madison has written a very entertaining and complex novel dealing with supernatural beings, immortals and secret societies. The characters are fully fleshed out with a dialogue that is truly believable, which is sometimes lacking in the fantasy genre. The book was well written and quite enjoyable."
  - Bitten by Books
You can find out more about Gabriel, his new release Three Seeds and his upcoming novella Green-Eyed Devil at his website.

Welcome to Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings Gabriel!

The IT Factor

My name is Gabriel Madison. I went to a local college in my home town of Albany Ga., where I took a theater class. We had to re-write a classic and make it modern. I did Othello. Everyone in the class loved it. Then, the day I will never forget, we had to direct a scene without dialogue to music. Once I finished, the entire class sat there in silence. I sat there in complete terror. I thought I had messed up so bad the class was fighting back boos or laughter or something else to show their displeasure! All of sudden, everyone turned around to me and said ‘wow’. Even the professor was blown away by what I created. He told me I had ‘IT’. I’ve never felt anything like that in my life, and I knew I wanted to feel that forever.

I left home and went to an Art School in Atlanta. By my last year, everyone at the school, and all the professors and even the Dean considered me the best student there. One of my professors pulled me off to the side, and told me whatever ‘IT’ is; I have an abundance of it. When I graduated I thought I would write a great novel that everyone would love, get a book deal, and start my life as a professional writer.

The real world had other ideas for me. I got rejection letter after rejection letter. I wrote more than one book, and each book got even more rejections. I finally got a real job, but had to leave it after a year to take care of my mother. I moved in with my brother also, but after my mother got even sicker I had to move back home with my mother and my grandmother. So there I sat, the guy with IT, sleeping on his grandmother’s couch unemployed and getting rejection letters.

It got to a point that I started doubting myself. I had one of those days, where I went for a walk thinking what in the hell am I going to do. I couldn’t see myself working a 9 to 5, and I was tired of writing. Actually, I couldn’t write anymore. I used to sit in front of my computer and effortlessly flow from one medium to another. I’d write a little on an Urban fantasy novel, then jump into a YA novel, then dive into a screenplay, knock out a few poems, and just before going to sleep, write a few scenes in my TV pilot. All of that went away. I didn’t think I had that supposed IT.

I couldn’t write for a long time. My mom got better, but I drifted deeper into depression. All I’ve wanted to do was create stories. All I’d heard my entire life was how talented I am. And yet there I was on my grandmother’s couch.


I spent a few years trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life. And then I fell back in love with my first true passion... vampires. I read Touch the Dark by Karen Chance and the spark was re-ignited. I needed to tell a story. I needed to write. So, I sat in front of my computer for the first time in years, with Untitled Word Document staring back at me, and began to type. I didn’t think about selling my work. I didn’t think about creating the greatest piece of art on Earth. I simply sat in front of my computer, relaxed, and had fun letting the story flow out of me.

When I finished, I had a manuscript called Fallen Rose. I sent out queries, and got more rejections. This time though, it didn’t bother me as much, because I wasn’t trying to prove anything to anyone. I didn’t care if any of the agents or publishers thought I had IT. I only wanted to find a way to share my story with other people. Then one day I went over to my cousin’s house, and he introduced me to a TV show called Carnivàle. I went home, and Fallen Rose changed from being about vampires, to beings I came up with during the car ride home. Fallen Rose... became Three Seeds. A couple months ago Three Seeds came out in print. No matter what happens with the novel, or what anyone says about it, I’m proud of what I’ve achieved, simply because I put my all into my work, and didn’t give up because the real world wasn’t wowed by IT. And I guess the rest I shall see.


If you have any questions or comments, Gabriel will be popping in from time today to chat.

Thank you Gabriel!  


15 comments:

Mandi said...

Hi Gabriel!

I find it very interesting to hear author's struggles with becoming published, especially when it ends on a high note and it comes to fruition.

I have read Three Seeds and the world you have come up with is complex and entertaining and one I hope many will discover.

There are so many layers to your book I feel like you pick any of them and go in several directions. Do you have plans to revisit this world? I want to learn more about David!! :)

Elmer Boutin said...

Gabriel,

Thanks for telling your story. I think it's an inspiration for those out there to not give up. Though you had some setbacks you eventually worked through them. Good for you! That story may turn out to be the more important you tell. I wish you well on your debut.

Leontine said...

Hi Gabriel,
Your book sounds very compelling and your road to getting published is an intriguing one! Sometimes the best things can happen when you go in blind and with no expectations :)

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story Gabriel. I can't imagine how frustrating things can be for writers. I'm very glad you never actually quit writing and after your Fallen Rose got rejection letters you still didn't let that stop you.

I really like the sound of Three Seeds. I will definitely be checking it out and looking for more of your work in the future.

Good luck!!

Gabriel Madison said...

Thank you all. As for your question Mandi: Yes I plan on revisiting the world. When I wrote Three Seeds, I intended for it to be the first part of a trilogy. I have the other two books in my head, I haven't written them down yet.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting published, Gabriel! It's a struggle at times, and the rejection letters can really make one doubt oneself, but I'm glad you perservered. Your novel sounds very good!

Chris said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Gabriel!

SusiSunshine said...

That's a real touching story, your way to getting published. Happy to hear you succeeded in the end. Your book sound really fascinating. Will take a look at it.

Erotic Horizon said...

Hey Gabriel...

What a story - I am glad as others for your emergence into the book world...

I will most definitely be picking up your book - after everything you have gone through, that is one book I do aim to read...

Thanks for the intro Donna...

E.H>

Donna said...

Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for coming by and reading about Gabriel's journey in writing. It was a pleasure to introduce him to you all. :)

Gabriel Madison said...

Thank you all again! And thank you Donna for giving me an opportunity to share my story.

Unknown said...

Hello Gabriel,

How do I buy your book? I didn't see it in Books-a-million.

Gabriel Madison said...

Kevin,

It's only available at amazon.com.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

Thanks for having Gabriel share his story with us. His book looks like a great read!

Unknown said...

Yeah Gabriel! :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010