At the Movies during the Holidays

Now ShowingThis time of the year brings holiday cheer and greatly anticipated movies, at least as a movie buff, it does for me. This year, the movies I’m looking the most forward to seeing are Avatar and Sherlock Holmes. Both of these movies look well made and hopefully well directed.

Avatar calls to my Sci-Fi soul. The special effects look out of this world spectacular and breathtaking. I got a dazed and glazed-eye look on my face every time the movie trailer played on TV or during previews at the movie theater. I finally get to watch it this weekend – Avatar is here!

Sherlock Holmes speaks to my classic side and Robert Downey Jr. is a superb actor in my eyes. I’ll also admit that Jude Law is very easy on eyes. The previews make this movie look like it’s nonstop action and thrills. I can’t for Christmas day for several reasons: family, food, presents and Sherlock Holmes!

What movies are you looking forward to watching this holiday season?


Avatar - PG13 - December 18, 2009 (US) - 162 min.

James-Cameron-Avatar

 
Starring:

Sam Worthington as Jake Sully

Zoe Saldana as Neytiri

Sigourney Weaver as Dr. Grace Augustine

Stephen Lang as Colonel Miles Quaritch

Michelle Rodriguez as Trudy Chacon

Giovanni Ribisi as Parker Selfridge

Joel Moore as Norm Spellman

 

Synopsis:
Avatar1 We enter the alien world through the eyes of Jake Sully, a former Marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where corporations are mining a rare mineral that is the key to solving Earth’s energy crisis. Because the atmosphere of Pandora is toxic, they have created the Avatar Program, in which human “drivers” have their consciousness linked to an avatar, a remotely-controlled biological body that can survive in the lethal air. These avatars are genetically engineered hybrids of human DNA mixed with DNA from the natives of Pandora…the Na’vi.

Reborn in his avatar form, Jake can walk again. He is given a mission to infiltrate the Na’vi, who have become a major obstacle to mining the precious ore. But a beautiful Na’vi female, Neytiri, saves Jake’s life, and this changes everything. Jake is taken in by her clan, and learns to become one of them, which involves many tests and adventures. As Jake’s relationship with his reluctant teacher Neytiri deepens, he learns to respect the Na’vi way and finally takes his place among them. Soon he will face the ultimate test as he leads them in an epic battle that will decide nothing less than the fate of an entire world. From the Official Movie Site

Click here for release dates in other countries plus additional movie information.

Leona Lewis "I See You" from the Avatar soundtrack:



Sherlock Holmes - PG13 - December 25, 2009 (US) - 128 min.

Starring:

Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes Jude Law as Dr. John Watson Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler Mark Strong as Lord Blackwood

Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes

Jude Law as Dr. John Watson

Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler

Mark Strong as Lord Blackwood

 

Sherlock Holmes

Synopsis:
After finally catching serial killer and occult "sorcerer" Lord Blackwood, legendary sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson can close yet another successful case. But when Blackwood mysteriously returns from the grave and resumes his killing spree, Holmes must take up the hunt once again. Contending with his partner's new fiancée and the dimwitted head of Scotland Yard, the dauntless detective must unravel the clues that will lead him into a twisted web of murder, deceit, and black magic - and the deadly embrace of temptress Irene Adler. Written by The Massie Twins

Click here for release dates in other countries plus additional movie information.

 
 

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Both these films look great. I think we will be going to see both of them over the Christmas break :)

Chris said...

Ah, RDJ...

Unknown said...

I soooo wanna see Sherlock Hlmes =)))

I saw Avatar last night... OMFG... must see movie of the century =)))

Great post!!!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

These are the two I want to see too! I'm not a huge RDJr fan but Sherlock Holmes looks like it's going to be awesome!

Donna said...

BCC - This year it's great to have two movies to look forward to. Usually there is just great movie but this year we get two. Yay!

Chris - I seriously like RDJ as an actor, I don't think he is hot or anything. It seems ever since he cleaned up his act, his been putting out some pretty good movies.

Larisssa - Holy Smokes!!! You've watched Avatar already! I want to go watch it today but my hubby says I have to wait for him. :( So I can't see it until tomorrow. Can't wait!

Patti - Both of these movies have been on my radar seen I laid eyes on the previews - Excited!! I use to not care for RDJ very much but his movies of late have been pretty terrific. I loved Iron Man.

Rae Lori said...

I sooooo want to see Avatar. Thank you so much for posting about it and the Leona Lewis theme. I haven't had a chance to listen to/see it until now and it's awesome! I'm such a huge sci-fi fan and always look forward to Cameron's stories. :-)

MrsMixx said...

oh i cannot wait to see Sherlock Holmes! I have this HUGE crush on Robert Downey Jr *wipes drool* Oh man this man is just perfect *sigh* Ok ok this movie has many great actors starring but Robert Downey Jr is the main attraction ;)

I'm going to see Avatar tomorrow. I regret that i won't see it in 3D but it sounds awesome all the same *g*

Smokinhotbooks said...

I want to see Avatar so bad!!!! James Cameron hasn't done a film since Titanic {Leo=dreamy} and my inner sci-fi diva is screaming to see this movie!!!

Erotic Horizon said...

Cool list donna..

My son and I saw Avatar and it was the best..... really good..

I NEED to see Sherlock And Holmes... I love that period...

E.H>

Donna said...

Rae - I love Leona Lewis's music! This song and Leona are beautiful.

Caroline - I think Jude Law is drool worthy!

KC - James Cameron is pretty awesome - epic is his middle name.

EH - I'm going to see Avatar today!!! And yes, I like the time period Sherlock Holmes is set in also, it lends an air mystery to it.

Carolyn Crane said...

Oh, boy, I'm super excited for both of these. Esp Sherlock. I, too, LOVE Robert Downey Jr. And of course, Cameron is a great filmaker, and he's been thinking about Avatar for 15 years, or whatever it is!!

I'm also looking forward to that movie where Benicio del Toro is a werewolf! It looks really intense!

VampFanGirl said...

AAAHHHHH!!! I'm so excited for Sherlock Holmes!!!! It just looks like its going to be great.

And AVATAR I must say looks very interesting too. I'm dying to see both.

Hugs, VFG

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see Sherlock Holmes!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010