Review: On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews
Book 1, The Edge Series
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Format: Paperback, 309 pages
Published: September 29, 2009 by Ace
ISBN: 978-0441017805
My copy: Purchased

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between the world of the Broken (where people drive cars, shop at Wal-Mart, and magic is a fairy tale) and the Weird (where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny). Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel from one world to the next, but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out how she planned, and now she works a minimum wage, off the books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life, determined to have her (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge from the Weird, a flood of creatures hungry for magic, Declan and Rose must work together to destroy them—or they’ll devour the Edge and everyone in it . . .

My Ramblings:

On the Edge is my first Ilona Andrews’ novel, which I thoroughly enjoyed because of it's originality, the colorful characters and wonderful world building. I love the idea of the three dimensional world: The Broken, no magic. The Edge, the middle ground. The Weird, a place full of magic. I get the feeling from the story that there is so much to be explored in this multi-dimensional world and I'm excited by the possibilities.

Rose as a heroine was perfect. She's strong, determined, optimistic and sticks to what she believes in. Declan at first I wasn't sure if I liked him or not because of his high and mighty attitude. In the end, I liked him because he proved to be so more. Jack and Georgie, Rose’s much younger spunky brothers, were near my favorite characters out of One the Edge, they grabbed at my heart strings in a big way.

Overall On the Edge was a fast paced, fantastical read that left me with a feeling of wonder. And I loved the humor, it had me rolling with laughter more than a few times. I can see myself buying each of the books as they come out in this series and reading them as soon as they arrive. I'm enthralled with the magical world created in On the Edge, I want to explore it more.

My Rating: Really Liked it

Places you can find Ilona Andrews: Web Site | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

The Edge Series:

  1. On the EdgeRead Chapter One
  2. Bayou Moon – 09/2010

Other Ramblings:

25 comments:

SusiSunshine said...

I so agree! Loved that one too! And believe me all their books are that funny and witty! One of the reasons I love these books so much!
Great review hon!
And thanks for the link!

Leontine said...

I have both her series on the shelves but with each review read I think I'm going to start with ON THE EDGE ;)

I love to explore worlds but to have great characters to experience it with is a must and the humor an added bonus. I am creating piles of books and this one is on my UF/PNR pile. Thanks for yourr eview Donna!


My word verification; magick lol

Simcha said...

I also really enjoyed this book though I have to say that I don't think Andrews' world-building is particularly creative compared to those of other fantasy books that I've recently read. The character development is great though, particularly with the kids.

Blodeuedd said...

Oh the series so great :D Well the first book lol.
And the kids were great, I can't wait to see what they come up with next

Chris said...

*adds to to-read list*

Michelle Greathouse said...

Donna,

Glad to know you enjoyed this one...I have it on my Christmas wish list. :)

M

Donna said...

Susi - I loved the humor, it was definitely one of the highlights in reading On the Edge. I really need to read the Magic series too.

Leontine - I think you would like this one, it'll satisfy the romance you like to see in your reading. Ha! Perfect word for this review: magick!

Simcha - The characters certainly made this novel, great personalities. Which books are you talking about? I'm curious. :)

Blodeuedd - I can't wait for the next either! 10 more months to wait though. :(

Chris - I hope you do read it!!!

Michelle - Great book! I hope Santa brings you a copy of On the Edge. :)

SciFiGuy said...

I'm the opposite. I've read all the Kate Daniels books but this one is still sitting in my TBR stack. Glad to see you liked it.

Pearl said...

Thanks for a wonderful review Donna!
I am glad I have OTE on my shelves. As I am hesitant with UF I never got the Kate Daniels books despite the raving reviews and praises for Ilona Andrews' writing. When I heard about On the Edge I took the plunge because it was said to be more romance-oriented.

Anonymous said...

I liked the Edge world quite a lot and I'm curious to see where the next decides to go. :)

Smokinhotbooks said...

Donna I just finished this one, It was a great read!!!

Lea said...

Great concise review Donna. I really like the way you summed up your feelings about this book.

I've read so many good things about this author, I'll have to look her up soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Best
L

MrsMixx said...

aww your first Ilona Andrews huh? I hope now you'll want to read her other series too. Ilona and Gordon are one (well two) of my favorite authors.
I have yet to be disappointed in their books. I love their humour too, i was often giggling.This is gonna be a long long wait until Bayou Moon

VampFanGirl said...

I've read nothing but great praise for this author and I already have their Kate Daniels series so I should really dive in. What am I waiting for? I don't know. Time maybe. *wink*

Thanks for the great review Donna. Glad you enjoyed it!

Happy Holidays, VFG

Abigail said...

Wait til you try Kate Daniels. In a word: Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I usually like to wait till there are 3 or 4 out in a series before starting it. But every review I read is pushing me to go ahead and read it now!

Donna said...

Doug - I plan on reading the Kate Daniels series too. You should give On the Edge a try when you get a chance, I'm so glad I read it.

Pearl - I hope you get to read On the Edge soon, I'd love to see what you think. :)

TJ - Same here! I know the Gordons have been posting some excerpt on their blog for Bayou Moon but I've stayed away from reading them. Because I know I'll want to read the whole shebang!

KC - Yes it was. I hope to see your thoughts on it. :)

Lea - Thanks, I'm going shorter on my reviews. It's easier for me to them since I tend to be short and to the point in RL.

Caroline - Oh, yes I will be reading the Kate Daniels series. I'm trying not to think about how long until Bayou Moon...*pouts*

VFG - Funny you say that, because I had the Kate Daniels books before On the Edge but I ready it first. I think it's the time factor like you said.

Abigail - Thanks! That's what everyone keeps telling me. :)

Alterlist - Same here! But there was sooo much hype for On the Edge, I couldn't wait.

Tricia said...

I just loved this one almost more than Kate and Curran. The world building was terrific and I loved Georgie and Jack too!

Donna said...

Tricia - I really need to read the Kate Daniels series, especially if their world building is just as wonderful in that series too. I'm starting to excited about reading them even more now.

Marissa said...

I haven't read anything by her, I like the blurb of this one, but I always hesitate when it comes to UF, it is not my favorite genre. Great review!

Donna said...

Marissa - On the Edge was a very fun and exciting read also it's more of a Paranormal Romance than an UF read. So you might like this one. :)

Moira Rogers - Bree said...

I've got this one hanging out by my desk to start when I get some spare time. I really like the premise too! I'm glad to hear it played out so well. I have not read her Kate Daniels books, though my husband has read the first couple, I think.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this one. I like the idea of The Edge and Rose sounds like the type of character I love.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I have an award for you.

http://carolsnotebook.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/awards-3/

Donna said...

Bree - On the Edge really was a fantastical read, I'd love to know what you think of it after you read it.

Carol - Hope you do read On the Edge. Thank you!! I'm going over now. :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010