Review: Blood of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Blood of the Demon by Diana Rowland
Kara Gillian, Book 2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 369 pages
Published: 02/23/2010 by Bantam
ISBN: 978-0553592368
Received From: Author

Back Cover Summary:

BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL, MAN AND DEMON, SHE’S ABOUT TO FACE THE ONE THING SHE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SURVIVE.

Welcome to the world of Kara Gillian, a cop with a gift. Not only does she have the power of “othersight” to see what most people can’t even imagine, but she’s become the exclusive summoner of a demon lord. Or maybe it’s the other way around. The fact is, with two troublesome cases on her docket and a handsome FBI agent under her skin, Kara needs the help of sexy, insatiable Lord Rhyzkahl more than he needs her. Because these two victims, linked by suspicious coincidence, haven’t just been murdered. Something has eaten their souls.

It’s a case with roots in the arcane, but whose evil has flowered among the rich, powerful, and corrupt in Beaulac, Louisiana. And as the killings continue, Kara soon realizes how much there’s still to learn about demons, men, and things that kill in the night—and how little time she has to learn it.

My Ramblings:

Blood of the Demon is the second novel in the Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland and it's one that I've been anticipating since reading Mark of the Demon last year.

Kara Gillian is a newly promoted detective for the Beaulac Police Department in Louisiana and she's just returned to her job after being presumed dead for several weeks. She's still emotionally distraught over the state and well being of her aunt's health plus the fact that the first two cases she lands aren’t typical murders. With her "othersight," a unique ability to see the energy flow of the arcane, she sees the victims have had their essence ripped from them, violently. With each killing the brutality of the murders keep getting worse. Kara's is on her own and at a loss because she's clueless to what preternatural being could be stealing the victims' essence. Kara reaches out to the sensuous, sexy demonic Lord Rhyzkahl for the answers but he wants something in return, he wants her to be his personal summoner. You see, Kara has the ability to summon beings from another plane that have been called demons for centuries for want of a better name. Ryan, a ruggedly handsome, FBI agent and a close friend of Kara's, who she wishes more often than not was much more, is angered when he finds out Kara is summoning Rhyzkahl for answers. A tension develops between the two resulting in a strain friendship.

Ryan and Rhyzkahl are both enigmatic and Kara is drawn to them both. I find Ryan to be the dependable, make you feel safe and secure kind of guy, while I see Rhyzkahl as more of the elusive bad boy type. Kara is tough, strong, and independent but she also has a softer side, one that is lonely and wants to feel wanted as a desirable woman. The romantic tension between Kara and Ryan escalates while the relationship with Kara and Rhyzkahl is still sizzling. Kara has definitely landed herself in a complicated love triangle.

Blood of the Demon has met and surpassed all of my expectations for this novel. The world building is creative and ever growing to show more dimensions that captivates a reader's attention. The suspense and mystery surrounding the arcane murders ignited my curiosity to a higher level with every page I turned, while the intrigue of decadent politics and the seedy rich of Louisiana add a licentious feel to the story. The characters are flawed and believable with personalities that draw you to them. I find myself yet again eagerly awaiting the next book in this series. I highly recommend this series to any Urban Fantasy fan out there; I seriously doubt any of you will be disappointed.

My Rating: Loved It!

Places you can find Diana: Web Site | Blog | Twitter

Kara Gillian Series:

  1. Mark of the DemonMy Review
  2. Blood of the Demon
  3. Secrets of the Demon - TBA

Other Ramblings:

19 comments:

Mandi said...

Great review! I am looking forward to reading this one! Really sounds like a fab triangle!

Blodeuedd said...

High praise!
And I that thought that this one perhaps not was for me

Donna said...

Mandi - Thanks! Oh, I bet you get entangled in the love triangle. I still can't decide which one I rather see Kara with. I'm see-sawing!

B - I think you would like this one...no vamps! ;) Seriously give it a try.

Maria - Oh you need to read Mark of the Demon, then you'll be grabbing this one. Promise! Don't let it sit on the bookshelf for too long. :)

WonderBunny said...

I am really forward to getting the time to read this. I enjoyed the first one a great deal.

Good review!

Donna said...

WonderBunny - Mark of the Demon was great, wasn't it!?! Your going to love this one. :)

VampFanGirl said...

You know, this cover continually catches my eye but I never really investigated it. Now I'm kickin' my own butt over my laziness. ;)

Thanks for the great review, Donna. I will most definitely be adding this one to the wish list.

Hugs, VFG

Anonymous said...

Ahh this series look awesome!!
Great review!

Lola said...

Awesome review! I will definitely be picking both of these books up in the near future! :)

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

I skimmed through your review because I'll be reading Mark of the Demon pretty shortly. I'm glad to hear book two is a good read!!

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

Great review! I'm really going to have to check out the first book in this series.

Lea said...

Hi Donna:

Wonderful review. I am so looking forward to reading this series as you know and now even more so after reading your thoughts.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Alexia561 said...

Great review! I have Mark of the Demon in my TBR pile, but haven't gotten to it yet. Really need more reading time... *L*

Unknown said...

Hi Donna!
I recently won the first book in this series from a friend and am excited to see you loved the second book so much! It's inspiring me to pick up the first soon! Thanks for the review!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Both of these books are on my list! I am hearing many great things on these books. I have to get them soon here. Thanks for the great review!

Unknown said...

Great review! This is a new author/series to me and it sound really good. I enjoy a love triangle, wondering which guy she'll pick LOL! I also haven't read a lot of urban fantasy with demons other than Stacia Kane, so I will definitely be adding this to my ever growing list :)

Erotic Horizon said...

Donna I can feel your love of this book coming through in this review...

Now I am bumping this one up the list...

Thanks for the review hon...

E.H>

Sophia (FV) said...

Wow great review! You make me want to read this...like today!

Donna said...

VFG - Yes! You must! This is a terrific UF series.

Hilda - Give it a try!

Lily - This series has a nice mixture of everything that I like about an UF. I hope give it a try.

Mishel - OH!! I'll be on the look out for your review.

Colette - Yes, do! Especially since you've kinda turned into an UF girl lately. ;)

Lea - I hope it makes to the top of your TBR, very curious to see your thoughts.

Alexia - I know what you mean. Same here. If I could just have 4 extra hours a day in addition to the 24, a lot reading could get done.

Donna said...

Christine - Woot! Hope you enjoy Mark of the Demon as much as I did.

Melissa - Woo...I bet you like the books in this series.

BCC - I really need to pick up Stacia Kane's books, I've seen a lot of good reviews on them. Hope give this series a try. I like Diana's "demons."

EH - Yay!! I hope you get to them soon. You made the right decision to bump them up. :)

FV - LOL!...Well, what are you waiting for? ;

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010