Review: Mind Games by Carolyn Crane

MindGames

Mind Games by Carolyn Crane
The Disillusionists Trilogy, Book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 384 pages
Published: 03/23/2010 by Spectra
ISBN: 978-0553592610
Received From: Author

My Summary:

JUSTINE KNOWS SHE’S GOING TO DIE. ANY SECOND NOW.

Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she’s convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine’s soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime deal. With a little of Packard’s hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity’s worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she’s always craved. End of problem.

Or is it? In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine’s first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard’s help, Justine has freed herself from her madness—only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone’s worst fears.

My Ramblings:

Mind Games is Carolyn Crane’s much anticipated, debut Urban Fantasy novel and the first book in The Disillusionists Trilogy.

Coming from a dysfunctional family, it’s not surprising that Justine Jones has some serious issues of her own, hypochondria. Her deep seated fear is that she has a blood vessel about to burst. She just knows that the tingle she feels on her scalp is sign of the life threatening blood vessel on the verge of bursting, even if none of the doctors she frequents can find any medical proof of her condition.

On a celebration date with her boyfriend Cubby, Justine meets the strikingly good looking Packard who immediately recognizes her hypochondria with his own special insight. Justine recognizes Packard as a highcap, a person with unexplained special abilities. Packard offers Justine the opportunity to weaponize her fear against some of the vilest criminals in Midcity while alleviating herself of it at the same time by joining his vigilante group of extraordinary disillusionists. Is fighting the crime wave that has engulfed Midcity as black and white as Packard and his team of disillusionists have made it out to be?

When I first heard about Mind Games, it immediately claimed my attention with a hypochondriac heroine. I was curious how a heroine with health phobias would play out in a genre saturated with the usual mixing of vamps, shifters, witches and zombies. The creativity of the plot was beyond anything I would have imagined, Mind Games turned out to be a breath of fresh air in the Urban Fantasy genre. It was full of dangerous and wicked suspense that took off in directions I didn’t see coming from start to finish. I found this story to be full of scenes containing action, paranormal mystery and relationship intrigues threaded throughout the entire novel, and those scenes were “sit on the edge of your seat” tense.

The characters are all so original with personalities that add a quality of realism to the story. Justine Jones is an optimistic, who puts a lot of faith in good always prevailing over evil. Justine also just wants be an average, normal person without phobias. Packard is mysterious man, and deviling through the mysteries surrounding him is one of the main draws of this story. Then there’s Chief Otto Sanchez, and he is what I would call a debonair man with a flair for theatrics, his character is one you can’t help but like even when he calls criminals “evildoers” in such a dramatic fashion.

Mind Games needs to be a on everyone’s must-read-now list. Seriously – not kidding.

You can bet Double Cross, the next book in this trilogy, is at the top of my most anticipated books list now.

My Rating: Loved It!

Places you can find Carolyn: Web Site | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

The Disillusionists Trilogy:

  1. Mind Games
  2. Double Cross – 09/28/2010

Other Ramblings:

20 comments:

SusiSunshine said...

Sounds sooo good. Me wants!
A hypochondriac(is that a word?) heroine.
Great review!

Lea said...

Great Review as always Donna! I agree 100%, I totally loved Mind Games and it is a 5 star read for me too.

Carolyn is a talented writer. I'm looking forward to Double Cross in September!

Best!
L

Chris said...

Must read very soon. Must.

Anonymous said...

Very excited to read this one! :)

Donna said...

Susi - My spell check let it pass...so yep! It is so very good, I hope you read it.

Lea - Thanks! I'm going to read yours this evening. I really, really loved Mind Games. So original!

Chris - Yes, you must! :) It was so refreshing to read, I've not read anything like Mind Games in UF.

TJ - I bet you like this one! Very different from what we've been reading in UF.

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

This book sounds great! I love the hypochondriac part - I'm a bit of a hypochondriac myself and once a friend told me about how they read about a person who had a constant runny nose and found out they were dripping cerebrospinal fluid..so of course whenever I have a runny nose due to allergies I think that maybe I'm leaking brain fluids everywhere- the power of suggestion ;)

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I don't think I've seen one bad review for this book yet. I'm a bit hesitant to read it, but might have to cave in.

Alexia561 said...

This one sounds amazing! Excellent review, and will be adding it to my TBR pile as soon as possible! Love the whole idea of a hypochondriac heroine. Awesome! :)

KT Grant said...

I slobbered all over this book. Me want sequel now. *beats chest*

ediFanoB said...

I always keep an eye on your blog. You review books which could be of interest for my wife.

Great review!
A hardcore hypochondriac heroine!!

Blodeuedd said...

Great review Donna!
I do wonder know how she with her hypochondria will fare

MrsMixx said...

I want to read this amazing book! *g* Can't wait to read it. I hope I'll receive it soon.

Unknown said...

Hi Donna!

I know it's going to be a great read for me as well, one of those books I've been anxiously waiting for!

Great review, I've checked out the others you've listed as well, nary a bad comment!!! I'll be picking it up as soon as it appears in my area.

Thanks for an excellent review!

Dottie :)

VampFanGirl said...

So much love for this book! Go Carolyn! And great review, Donna.

Its in the cart!

Hugs, VFG

Leontine said...

What a wonderful review Donna! If I don't have my lucky stars with my that will make me win this book I'm so going to buy this. I've read Lea's review too and now yours, Donna, and my heart starts to beat a bit faster, I so crave a bit of originality in the UF genre and this really screams, new voice and fresh characters found in this book. Get.It.Now! LOL

ediFanoB said...

I told my wife to read your great review. She did.... And now the book is on her wish list!

Smokinhotbooks said...

God is it the 23rd yet? I cannot wait for this book I've seen so many great reviews - I wants it, I needs it, I must haz it.

Great review Donna!!!

Donna said...

Heather - Yes! Same here but not nearly as extreme as hypochondriac. Hm, now I'll be thinking about my runny nose.!

Colette - This is very different but in a refreshingly good way. Hope you decide to give this one a go.

Alexia - Yay! Oh, your going to enjoy it. :)

Katie - I'm joining you in the chest thumping! I'm definitely hook.

ediFanoB - Cool! I hope there have been some books here she enjoyed. I hope you rec this one to your wife!

Donna said...

B- So did I, and it was a fantastic ride finding out how. :)

Caroline - Oh, I hope your copy gets to you soon! This will be another series to get hooked to. :)

Dottie - I bet it will be! Terrific UF reading with lots of twists.

VFG - Yay! I hope you like it. :)

Leontine - I find there are some books I want so bad I'll buy them instead of seeing if my luck will hold out. This is one of them, don't blame you. :)

ediFanoB - Yay! I hope she likes it!!!

KC - Some release days seem to creep closer don't they? ;) Thanks!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Wow, 5 stars! I am going to have to think on this book. I may have to add it to my list. Thanks for a wonderful review. I learned more of the book here. Thank you!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010