Review: Once Bitten by Kalayna Price

Once Bitten by Kalayna Price

Once Bitten by Kalayna Price 
Haven, Book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 272 pages
Published: 01/09/2009 by Bell Bridge Books
ISBN: 978-0980245394 
Received From: Purchased

Summary:

Kita Nekai, on the run and the smallest of her shifter clan-a calico cat among lions and tigers-is being hunted. She was expected to accept her role as her father's successor whether or not her cat was up to the task of leading the clan. She disagreed. Now she's less than a step ahead of the hunters, bone-tired, cold, and living hand-to-mouth in the city of Haven. And that's the high point of her day. She's also drugged, "accidently" turned into a vampire, and sentenced to death for recklessly creating a rogue shifter who tortures its human prey. She's got seventy-two hours to find the rogue, evade a city full of hunters, prove she's not responsible for the rogue, and keep the vampire council from killing her. All while sorting out an apprentice mage, a married ex-boyfriend shifter-hunter, and the vampire who made her.

My Ramblings:

Once Bitten was a quick, enjoyable story and is an interesting beginning to a new Urban Fantasy series that shows a lot of potential. The universe consists of shifters, vamps, mages and much more. The combination of all these preternatural characters and the unique attributes that Kalayna Price gives them was entertaining plus they gave the story elements of surprise.

The story was filled with a lot of action and just a couple slow spots but for the most part I really enjoyed the pace set in this book. After I read the summary, I was very curious to find out what would happen to a shifter turned into vampire. The reason being because most vampires remain in the state that they turned so I wanted to find out how things would shape up for Kita. Would she be a hybrid vampire-shifter? Or would she be frozen at the age and shape she was in when she was turned, forever without the ability to shift again?

Kita herself is very strong willed and at times too stubborn for her own good. This stubbornness leads to much mayhem throughout the story and was a bit of an aggravation point for me at the beginning. The bits and pieces of Kita’s past is slowly leaked into the story and eventually I could understand why she is the way she is. It would’ve been better to know some of this a little sooner in the story.

The other characters in the story added a feeling of companionship between Kita and themselves, even when Kita was trying to avoid the friendship offered. There are subtle hints at a possible romance but the story is mainly centered on Kita finding the rogue shifter before her 72 hour reprieve runs out.

Once Bitten is just the tip of the iceberg in the Haven series; there were many tidbits throughout the story that alluded to a much deeper universe that begs to be explored. I did go on to read the next book in the Haven series, Twice Dead and I can vouch that is does live up to that suggestion of more. That review will be up next.

My Rating: Liked It

Places you can Find Kalayna: Web Site | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Haven Series:

  1. Once Bitten
  2. Twice Dead
  3. TBA

Other Ramblings:

15 comments:

Mandi said...

I liked this one. Kita is a good heroine..and I like where Price takes us in book two :)

Brenda Hyde said...

Good review...I'll have to read this series. Thanks!

Donna said...

Mandi - I liked Twice Dead much more and feel the same as you about where this series goes.

Moonsanity - Give a try, I can see this series going places. :)

Chris said...

Hmm, I have this and the next book, but then my m/m binge started...

Donna said...

Chris - While I liked the first book, I really enjoyed the second one the most. So, how long have you been on the m/m binge? Have you read anything outside of m/m since you started? Just being nosy. ;)

Chris said...

Um, the m/m binge started slowly last July, but picked up speed and slowly squeezed out the other reading. I do manage a few other reads, but we're talking about one/month! :)

Kelsey said...

Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review! I'll check it out sometime.

VampFanGirl said...

Ugh, I'm so not a fan of a stubborn heroine and from your mentioned aggravation, I think I might stay away from this one.

Still, great review Donna! I love how you lay out your thoughts; giving me an exact sense of your feelings.

Hugs, VFG

Blodeuedd said...

Shifter turned vamp, yes I wonder how that turned out

Lola said...

Interesting...I have seen these books on the shelves at the bookstore. I think I may have to flip through them a bit on my next visit, thanks to your review! :P

misskallie2000 said...

I love the fact that Kita can shift into a calico kitten. I never heard of kitten shifters. I can't wait to read these books as I have not read them yet. I do have them on my wish list.

misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

Alexia561 said...

Thanks for your review! Have this one on my to read list, but haven't gotten to it yet. Love the whole idea of a vampire shifter, so looking forward to finding out how that works. Great job!

ediFanoB said...

Donna,
to be honest I didn't read your review because I want to review boths books at the end of April on my new blog. I hope to go live with my new blog soon. I will inform you.

Donna said...

Chris - Glad you haven't left other genres behind completely. But I do understand your passion for your current obsession with m/m. I feel the same way about UF. ;)

Kelsey - I hope you do!

VFG - Thanks! I don't mind stubborn but there is a point where it does seem to cross the line of being ridiculous. Kita does get much better for me in Twice Dead ;)

B - It's has a unique quality so far.

Lily - These books are very quick reading, a lot action. :)

MissKallie2000 - I never would've thought of a calico as shifter either until this series.

Alexia - Oh, let me know what you think!

ediFanoB - I got your email. I plan on checking out your new blog! Congrats!

Erotic Horizon said...

Sounds like this was a good first book - A little build up on everything and leaving you with intrigue for the next book..

Thanks for your thoughts..

E.H

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010