Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

BeautifulCreatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Book 1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Year: 2009 (December 1, 2009)
Format: Hardback, 576 pages
ISBN: 978-0316042673 (Little, Brown Books)
My Copy: Bought from Amazon.com

Some loves are meant to be…
others are cursed.

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.

We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.

Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.

There was a curse.

There was a girl.

And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

My Ramblings:

After seeing the blogosphere's explode with praise on Beautiful Creatures, I went out to Amazon to check it out. I was amazed by what I saw there, Beautiful Creatures had over a 100 reviews posted already, the total average was 4.5 stars and the book hadn't officially released yet. Since it was shipping early, I bought a copy to see what the noise was about.

I was not disappointed.

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl is an excellent, well thought out story layered with paranormal aspects and a Gothic feel. The book is nearly 600 pages long but you don't notice the size because of the mystery and intrigue that pop up, page after page. What makes the Beautiful Creatures such a great read is in the storytelling and the world building. It's so tightly woven together, it's seamless. The setting of the deep south and a small town enamored with it’s Civil War history to the point of severe prejudice to outsiders, was perfect. It also made for some very interesting and eccentric characters.

I found myself immerse in the developing love story between Lena and Ethan, it was a slow progression but nice. It was refreshing to read the story from Ethan’s point of view, a guy's bird's eye view. I like reading his thoughts on his budding forbidden romance with Lena. And since we don't see what Lena is thinking, it kept her shrouded in a bit of mystery, which helped build the suspense in the story.

There is so much more to this story but I'm finding hard to talk about it without taking away the mystery that shrouds it. This is one of those books you just jump in feet first and let it carry you through the story.

My Rating: Really Liked it

Places you can find Kami Garcia: Web Site | Blog | Twitter

Places you can find Margaret Stohl: Web Site | Blog | Twitter

The Beautiful Creatures Series:

  1. Beautiful Creatures

Other Ramblings:

21 comments:

Aarti said...

I've heard so much about this book. And it has such a beautiful cover. I didn't think it was really in my vein of reading, but maybe I should try it anyway!

Leontine said...

Another YA novel that rocks the genre that seems on fire. Interesting review Donna, though YA is not on my main menu I feel the need to read it hhhmmmmm!

Janicu said...

This has been on my TBR pile since I picked it up at BEA, but for some reason haven't been feeling like reading it yet.. You're making me want to though!

Natasha (Wicked Lil Pixie) said...

Just read Warner Brothers optioned it! Book JUST came out and its already been optioned! Insane!

Blodeuedd said...

Sounds interesting, aha it is YA.
Wow high grade for a book not out, glad to see it was good when you got it

Chris said...

Oh, dear, another book for the TBR...

Donna said...

Aatri - I'm glad curiosity got the better of me on this one. Or I would've missed out a great read.

Leontine - I'm just now starting to read more YA and I'm finding that I like it. For some reason, I keep thinking the books would be too soft of a read for me. Silly me.

Janicu - I was amazed on fast of a read Beautiful Creature was for me. I started it Thanksgiving night, and picked it back up and finished it Friday night. If that says anything.

Natasha - I can see this as movie. Now I'm trying image who I would pick for the parts.

Blodeuedd - I'm glad it measured up to the hype too.

Chris - It's a good read. Really.

Smokinhotbooks said...

{KC adds another book to her Goodreads pile} Great review Donna, I'll have to add this one to my YA - Radar.

Mandi said...

Ooh - I have seen this around but didn't know if I would like it..but if you do....will have to read it soon!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I've just started seeing this around - I'm going to add to my TBR.

Donna said...

KC - YA has been on my radar for awhile. I like it!

Mandi - Give it a try, bet you'll like it. Great atmosphere and pacing through the whole book.

Patti - Seeing Beautiful Creatures around the blogs is what got me to check it out. Glad I did.

Abigail said...

I'm hearing the same good things. I like that the setting seems to be its own character. Makes me think of Rebecca. Another one to add to the wish list :)

VampFanGirl said...

WOW! A 100 reviews over 4.5 stars. That is impressive and worth checking out.

I must say that the cover is a bit creepy. Hmmm...I'm definitely intrigued. Thanks for your thoughts Donna!

;) VFG

Donna said...

Abigail - Book blogs are so healthy for the wish list. We keep them fed properly. :)

VFG - You know, I've seen a lot people say they like the cover but I'm kinda on the fence about it. Hope you give it a try.

SusiSunshine said...

I love the cover and the books sounds great too! Luckily it's already on my wishlist! Hope it's under the tree!

Unknown said...

Hi Donna!

Sounds excellent. I have it on my TBB list, hope to pick it soon! The book cover kind of matches the story inside, a gothic look outlined in pink, cool.

Great review!

Dottie :)

Heidenkind said...

I know--the buzz about this book is already so great, and it just came out! I hope my library gets it.

Donna said...

Susi - I hope it's under the tree with a pretty bow waiting for you too. :)

Dottie - Thanks! It does have a strong gothic appeal to story. Hope you like it.

Heidenkind - I was amazed by the buzz on Beautiful Creatures too. It's what got me to drop what I was doing and read it. I don't remember this much on a book so quick -- before it was even released.

Christine said...

Thanks for the review, Donna. I've been picking up on a lot of glowing reviews for this book recently as well. I really want to read it now, too!

Lola said...

*Squee* I can NOT wait to read this!!!! :D

Donna said...

Lily - I hope you enjoy it and it lives up to the hype for you as well.

Christine - If you get the chance to read Beautiful Creatures, take it! :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010