Review: Spider’s Bite by Jennifer Estep

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep
Elemental Assassin, Book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 432pages
Published: January 26, 2010 by Pocket
ISBN: 978-1439147979
Received From: Purchased

Book Blurb:

"My name is Gin, and I kill people."

They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South -- when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way -- good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this coldhearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction...especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.

My Ramblings:

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep was one of my most anticipated books for 2010. So when the book finally arrived I dug into it right away, hoping I hadn't put too much anticipation into reading it. Well, I didn't because I ended up loving every bit of this book. I swear there isn't a lot things as satisfying as wanting a book and it turns out as good as you hoped.

Basically Spider's Bite had it all for me. The setting based in Ashland, a fictional city in the Appalachian Mountains was perfect. Ashland reminds me of a southern Sin City, full of corruption on every level of society. I liked that the humans are aware of the elementals, people who possess the ability to manipulate one or two (which is uncommon) of the four elements: Air, Fire, Ice, and Stone, along with vampires, giants, and dwarfs. So as you can see with the supernaturals there comes power and where is power there is bound to be corruption. Yeah, the bad guys here are very much worth fearing.

Gin was an imperfect heroine who blurred the lines between right and wrong. She never seems over the top but actually grounded to reality. And she likes to cook, loved that! But when it came to her job as an assassin, she's tough, efficient and good at it. And she knows she's the best. Gin's assets as an assassin is more then being an expert with knifes, she uses brains over brawn, in other words she fights smart. As for as the relationship between Donovan Caine and Gin went, I thought it was tense, full of want and need.

There are a few notable side characters as well. I enjoyed the teasing banter between Gin and Finn, who was Gin's handler's son. Jo-Jo and Sophia, dwarven sisters as different as night and day. One's a goth and the other is a true southern lady. These two were interesting additions to the story.

The mystery build up around the plot was superb, clues appearing in the right places, making me wish I could read faster. I know a lot of Urban Fantasy novels are described as dark, raw and gritty but I have to say that Spider's Bite is the epitome of that description. I can't recommend reading Spider's Bite enough.

My Rating: Perfect!

Places you can find Jennifer: Web Site | Blog | Facebook

Elemental Assassin Series:

  1. Spider’s Bite
  2. Web of Lies – May 25, 2010
  3. Venom – October 2010

Other Ramblings:

17 comments:

MrsMixx said...

I want to read this book! It got so many great reviews I have to read it too ;) it's never easy to start a new series, you never know what you're getting into. And since book 2 and 3 are coming out this year too, it won't be such a long wait =)

Wendy said...

I can't wait to read Spider's Bite! Awesome review, Donna. :)

Unknown said...

awesome review Donna!

Im looking forward to reading that book! =)))

Blodeuedd said...

Great review :D
I am really looking forward to reading this book now

Chris said...

It sounds great! And how wonderful that such an anticipated read wasn't disappointing. :)

Donna said...

Pattepoulie - The reviews are true, this a terrific book. I can't wait for the next one.

Wendy & Larissa - Thanks! I hope you like it as much I did. It's a series that I think will make it's mark. :)

Blodeuedd - I bet you might like it since you been saying your enjoying UF a lot more now.

Chris - It is! No kidding, I love that didn't happen with Spider's Bite. :)

Lea said...

Hi Donna:

Wow! Awesome review, and a perfect score! I think I'm adding this one to my list. ;)

Thank you for sharing.

Best

Anonymous said...

5 stars! This is one I should probably read!

Emma Michaels said...

Great review! I just won this book so I am sooooo happy about getting to read it!!!!

Smokinhotbooks said...

Eeep you are the second blogger that gave Spider's Bite 5 stars, now I have to read it.

Great review Donna!

Donna said...

Lea - Yay! I hope you get to it soon and enjoy it. :)

TJ - Give it a try, I seriously loved this book. I actually rewrote this review three times. I was trying to not gush so much. :)

Emma - Cool! That's a awesome feeling, winning a book your dying to read. I hope you like it as much as I did.

KC - This one will speak to the UF lover in you. I promise!

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I've heard such great things about this book. I'm really going to have to read it!

Mandi said...

You are right - it is the epitome of dark and gritty and it works so well for this book.

Lola said...

I was looking through your blog when I saw 5 stars, and stopped cold. AWESOME review!!! This is soooo going on the tbr list! :)

Ellz said...

Great review. I am glad you enjoyed this so much. It sounds like a unique plot. I have to add this to my list.

Donna said...

Colette - Oh, you should! It's a such a terrific read.

Mandi - It's what keep popping into my head after I read Spider's Bite. I'm so ready for Web of Lies.

Lily - If you love a good, dark Urban Fantasy - this is your book. :)

Elie - Thanks! It is unique all around, hope you get a chance to read it.

The Queen B said...

I'm really looking forward to trying this one. I'm hearing such good things about it. Great review :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010