Review: Shadowfae by Erica Hayes

Shadowfae by Erica Hayes

Shadowfae by Erica Hayes
Book 1, Shadowfae Chronicles
Genre: Dark Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 288 pages
Published: October 13, 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin
ISBN: 978-0312578008
My copy: Purchased

Summary:

Imagine a secret world veiled in fairy glamour and brimming with unearthly delights. A city swarming with half-mad fairies, where thieving spriggans rob you blind, beautiful banshees mesmerize you with their song, and big green trolls bust heads at nightclubs. And once you’re in, there’s no escape…

Enslaved by a demon lord, Jade is forced to spend her nights seducing vampire gangsters and shapeshifting thugs.  After two hundred years as a succubus, she burns for freedom and longs to escape her brutal life as a trophy girl for hell’s minions.  Then she meets Rajah, an incubus who touches her heart and intoxicates her senses. Rajah shares the same bleak fate as she, and yearns just as desperately for freedom.  But the only way for Jade to break her bonds is to betray Rajah—and doom the only man she’s ever loved to a lifetime in hell.

My Ramblings:

Ever since I read the prequel Hellcursed a few months back, Shadowfae has been a book I've been looking forward to reading. I found Shadowfae to be a very intense, dark, erotic story that was at times disturbing, in a fascinating way. With Jade being a succubus, I was expecting a sensually charged read, which I did get but I also got a look at the unsavory, darker side of being a succubus enthralled to a demon lord's every command. This gave Shadowfae a very gritty and raw edge.

As far as the characters go, I found Jade and Rajah to be mirror opposites of each other. Jade isn't your typical tough, self-confident heroine usual found in urban fantasy. She is very insecure about herself and her sexuality; which can be tough on your psyche when your a succubus. But Rajah is very confident about his sexuality and uses it to his every advantage without any qualms. The character that fascinated me the most was actually Kane, the demon lord who enslaved both Jade and Rajah. He had an enigmatic air about him that made me want to get know him better. I hope there is more about Kane in this series' future books.

The story itself is unique and well written with plenty of enticing twists, told from the main characters' point of views. One of the highlights reading this book was Ms. Hayes’s rich style of writing. She was able to transport me to the oppressive heat, sights and sounds of Melbourne; and made it very easy to imagine the slew of supernatural characters from fairies to vampires with charismatic and sinister personalities. I would absolutely recommend Shadowfae to anyone looking for a gritty urban fantasy that is heavy with dark, erotic paranormal romance elements.

My Rating: Liked It

Places you can find Erica Hayes: Web Site | Blog | Twitter

Shadowfae Chronicles:

  1. Hellcursed – Free Prequel
  2. Shadowfae
  3. Shadowglass - March 2, 2010

Other Ramblings:

17 comments:

Smokinhotbooks said...

Donna you had me at "dark, erotic paranormal romance elements." The premise sounds really interesting. Did you like the romance between the 2 characters, I read that she is a succubus and therefore is forced into having sex as is he. Did you like that dynamic?

Donna said...

KC - Towards the end I warmed up to their relationship but her insecurity issues really bothered me during most of the book. And yes she is forced into having sex by Kane with others. That's what I meant by the darker, unsavory side of being a succubus. ;)

Lola said...

I agree...I completely feel for Kane and hope there is more about him in future books. Even though he was supposed to be a bad guy, I felt sorry for him. I absolutely adored this book, and am glad you enjoyed it as well. I think you captured descriptions of the characters nicely in your review. Also, thank you for the link! :)

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

I enjoyed this ride as well and look forward to further development with Kane. If you want to stop by, my review is here.

Thanks for the link to Hellcursed. I have no idea how I missed that!

Miranda

Chris said...

*heads off to download Hellcursed*

Donna said...

Lily - You're welcome! I like to get as many opinions out there since everyone has different tastes so it makes sense to have a variety to read.

SVZ - I added your review link to the list of Other Ramblings. :)

Chris - It's a steamy little read - Enjoy!!

Mandi said...

I heard this is very erotic..

My friend is going to let me borrow it..looking forward to reading it.

Donna said...

Mandi - it is very erotic and some of the scenes are very passionate and steamy but not all of them are romantic in nature.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Blodeuedd said...

I do find that Urban fantasy is perfect for me, and this one is so alluring ;)

DawnsReadingNook said...

I am grabbing this one next time I go to the bookstore. Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I haven't heard of this series before-I'm off to find out more about it!

Donna said...

Blodeuedd - Urban Fantasy has become my genre of choice next to Paranormal Romance. Shadowfae is a good mixture of both with a very dark sexually charged edge to it.

Dawn - I hope you enjoy it!

Colette - If you decide to read this one, I'd like to see your thoughts. :)

Amy C said...

Hi Donna,
I almost considered this book, but I know me...UF just is not for me :). But I will always admire the covers!

And I did enjoy your review. It does sound interesting.

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

This sounds right up my alley, if that's not too rude to say!

Thanks for sharing.

Sassy
:)

Erotic Horizon said...

I remember seeing the cover of this and thought how rich....

It is different...

I am not into Demon lords at the moment but I am glad certain aspect of the book worked well for you...

E.H>

SusiSunshine said...

I have this one on my wishlist but still haven't bought it.
Story sounds interesting.

cfisher1504 said...

I haven't read Erica Hayes work before...Shadowfae sounds like a must!!!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010