Review: Angels’ Blood by Nalini Singh

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Angels’ Blood by Nalini Singh 
Book 1, Guild Hunter Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 368 pages
Published: March 3, 2009 by Berkley
ISBN: 978-0425226926
My copy: Purchased

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she's the best—but she doesn't know if she's good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, only one thing is clear—failure is not an option...even if the task is impossible.

Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other...and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break...

My Ramblings:

I have seen a lot praise for Nalini Singh's writing, so naturally I wanted give her a try. Angels' Blood was my first exposure to her work and I was not disappointed. I'm just sorry I haven't started reading Ms. Singh's novels sooner. You can bet I'll be diving into her Psy-Changeling series this year.

Angels’ Blood captured my attention from the beginning and didn't let go of it until the very last page, it was that good. Nalini Singh is such a wonderful story teller whose characters have personalities that came to life for me. This story was a very fast paced, satisfying read on every level. There was just the right amount of romance and mystery mixed in with tense, dark moments that had me on the edge of my seat several times. How could you not be effected by a gutsy heroine who's job is to hunt down a crazed archangel while trying to not to fall for another extremely dangerous one, who she's rightfully scared of and attracted to? What about a world where humans indenture themselves as servants for a 100 years in exchange for near immortality by being made into vampires by angels? Or an existence where archangels rule nations around the world who are known as the Cadre of Ten? Intriguing, isn't?

Yes, I'm definitely reading Archangel's Kiss when it releases.

I would recommend Angels' Blood to any and all readers who enjoy their urban fantasy mixed in with some sizzling romance. As a matter of fact, I'd say it's a must read!

My Rating: Perfect!

Read an Excerpt

Places you can find Nalini Singh: Web Site | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Guild Hunter Series:

  1. Angels' Pawn – stand alone ebook novella & can be read at time in the series
  2. Angels’ Blood
  3. Angels' Judgment – short story in the Must Love Hell Hounds anthology
  4. Archangel's Kiss - February 2, 2010

Other Ramblings:

24 comments:

Leontine said...

Raphael *draws hearts on map with his name* I'm counting the days until Archangel's Kiss! Your review got me even more psyched then I already was *grin*

Amy C said...

I bought this book when it first released because I love her Psy/Changeling series, but I never read it before I passed it on. I think I was worried I wouldn't like the UF style this book has, and I didn't wnat to find myself disappointed with something of hers since I'm not a big fan of the UF scene (I just love the covers!), so I just decided to not even read it!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it though! And I do hope you give her other series a try. They are so good. Deliciously good :D.

Wendy said...

Just WAIT until you read Archangel's Kiss! SO GOOD. :)

Lola said...

Awesome review! This is going on the tbr list ASAP! Thanks for the heads up Donna! :)

Mandi said...

I think she created such a vibrant, imaginative world. I love it!

Donna said...

Leontine - I'm so glad February is right around the corner. Not much longer :)

Awww Amy!!! I know this is billed as UF but I really see it more as a paranormal romance. I hope you change your mind one day about reading it.

Wendy!!! I know you read Archangel's Kiss already so I'm really looking forward to your review on it...Don't keep up waiting to long. Need.To.Know!!! ;)

Lily - Thank you! Angels' Blood is a book I will not hesitate to recommend to anyone. Do read it when you get the chance.

Mandi - I absolutely agree! I'm so glad I finally read one of Ms. Singh's novels, now I know what all the talk has been about.

Chris said...

I actually won an ARC of this last year - it was my first time reading Nalini, too, and I had the same reaction. I've since read the Psy-Changeling series, which were some of the best books I read in 2009. You definitely have some good reading ahead of you.

Donna said...

Chris - Super! Someone with the same reading experience with Angels' Blood. You know before reading it, I felt I was the last person on earth who hadn't read anything by her. Yeah, I'm very excited about Psy-Changeling series, I hope I have the same reaction to it as I did to Angels' Blood.

Unknown said...

Hi Donna!

I keep meaning to try Nalini Singh, but I haven't yet, I wasn't sure her books were going to be to my liking. Well, I can see I was apparently wrong! I need to look up some of her books because this one sounds great!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Dottie :)

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

Fantastic review Donna. I really need to read SOMEthing by Nalini. I'm definitely interested in her Psy-Changeling books, I've heard they are pretty fantastic =) It's really good to know that her new series is gonna do well too!

No matter what I choose to read I still think it'll be a winner =)

DawnsReadingNook said...

I read this book and loved it. It was my first foray into her writing and friends raved about her Psy series which is on my list next to read. I look forward to her next book. Thansk for this review. :)

Dawn

Chris said...

@Donna: I think I gave at least two of her books five stars last year. Not sure any other author achieved that!

SusiSunshine said...

Great review hon! And I so agree I so loved this book!
I think the world she created was really unique and her characters are wonderful as ever.
You will really enjoy her Psy-Changeling series.

Blodeuedd said...

Well I love UF, and I love some sizzling romance so yes I would love to read this book too

VampFanGirl said...

OMG! OMG! OMG! I can't wait for ARCHANGEL'S KISS!!!!!

So happy you enjoyed AB, Donna, and I'm definitely looking forward to your thoughts on Singh's Psy/Changeling Series.

You've got some awesome reads lined up for you with this author. I'm actually a little jealous right now over your Singh Psy/Changeling virginity....

Happy Reading!

Hugs, VFG

P.S. Thanks for the review pimpage!

Michelle Greathouse said...

Donna,

I'm glad to know you enjoyed this one - I've had it on the shelf for some time now and haven't gotten to it yet. :) I love Ms. Singh's Psy/Changeling series.

M

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed what I've read in her Psy series. I need to add this to my list.

Tricia said...

Hey Donna, Great Review! I have this one at the top of the TBR pile after reading Angels' Judgement I love her writing!

Donna said...

Dottie - Oh, give Angels' Blood a try! I loved, loved it!

Mishel - I can't wait to try the first book in the Psy-Changeling series. My problem will be if it's as good as Angels' Blood, I'll read every book back to back in that series. ;)

Dawn - Looks like we'll both be traveling down the same reading path this year Nalini Singh!

Chris - Really!?! I'm definitely getting on to the Psy-Changeling series very soon.

Susi - Thanks! Must read faster to catch with the series. All of these great books, my head is spinning. ;)

Donna said...

Blodeuedd - I've been a big UF fan myself and I find when there is some romance involved, I like it even better as well.

VFG - I am a Psy-Changeling virgin aren't I? :D Need to remedy that soon. Very soon!

Michelle - Push this book up closer to the top of your TBR pile. You won't regret it!

Carol - Yes, do add this one to your TBR list. It's a must. :)

Tricia - I read Angels' Judgement after reading Angels' Blood. It was nice to get Sara and Deacon's back story. I need to get the ebook novella too.

Smokinhotbooks said...

Ohmygod cannot wait for Archangel's Kiss...Wendy got it as an ARC and I've been stalking her quotes on Goodreads, daily. I liked Singh's Psy series but her Angels series is even better.

Unknown said...

Yay, another series to read! I love starting new series - I've seen this author a lot since I started blogging but never picked up one of her books for some reason. Going to change that now - 5/5! Thanks for the review! :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Thanks for the review. I have been curious of this book for a while now and just couldn't bring myself to buy it not knowing. Now I will add it to the list of books.

Thanks Again!

IceJewel said...

Oh yes, I have seen Nalini Singh's books around, but never had a chance to read any of them :(
I think, its high time that I buy one of her books now!
Thanks for your review :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010