2fer Review: Firespell by Chloe Neill

Firespell by Chloe Neill

Firespell by Chloe Neill 
Dark Elite, Book 1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Format: Paperback, 256 pages
Published: January 5, 2010 by Signet
ISBN: 978-0451228864
Received From: Purchased

Summary:

As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia’s boarding school, Lily Parker thinks her classmates are the most monstrous things she’ll have to face—but oh, how wrong she is.

When Lily’s parents decide to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she is not happy. Lily’s classmates are the ultra rich brat-pack type—and if that isn’t enough, she’s hearing and seeing bizarre things on St. Sophia’s creepy campus.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird—she keeps disappearing late at night. When a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout, who’s  running from a real-life monster.

Scout is part of a splinter group of rebel teens who protect Chicago from demons, vamps, and the gone-to-the dark-side magic users called Reapers. She lets Lily in on her secret, even though Lily has no powers of her own…or at least none that she’s discovered yet.

My Ramblings:

Chloe Neill has fast become one of my favorite writers so when I saw she had a new book coming out, I just knew I had to pick it up. Plus, I thought Firespell was such an enjoyable read that I'd share it with my 13 year old stepdaughter, Jessica. And I figured it would be a neat idea to have a review here by a person in who is in the targeted audience for this book. Below my ramblings is Jessica's thoughts on Firespell.

I liked that this story is based in the bustling, windy city of Chicago in an old gothic style school. It was so easy to imagine the numerous tunnels running under Chicago, filled with things unimaginable. This set the atmosphere for me, giving everything a since of old mysteries waiting to be discovered.

The story itself had many interesting and mysterious twists that keep me interested. For the most part I enjoyed reading Firespell. The beginning half of this book moved at a slower pace than I would've liked but the last half picked up the pace with an exciting ending. And there is twist to plot about the use of magic itself, that I'm very curious as to how it will pan out in the end for all the characters involved.

Again the best part of a Chloe Neill novel for me was the characters. I love Chloe's ability to create companion characters that you can't help but feel the same passion and closeness as you do for the main characters in a story.

This first novel has certainly laid the ground work for the next in the Dark Elite series and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

My Rating: Liked It

Jessica’s Ramblings:

I have to say Lily was one of my favorite characters. If she's being challenged by the brat pack or even a bunch of monster she doesn't back down even if she wants to. Scout was another one of my favorite characters. She was very unique and I just couldn't wait to see what funny thing she had in store for me next.

There aren't a lot of books that make me want to read them over and over again but Firespell has me hooked in like a fish. If I could I'd read it again and again until I knew every line.

Jessica’s Rating: Perfect!

Places you can find Chloe: Web Site | Blog | Twitter

Dark Elite Series:

  1. Firespell
  2. Book 2 – TA
  3. Book 3 – TA

Other Ramblings:

14 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I am kind of curious of this book. I have it on the list to look into getting here at some point to read. I might wait till the next book comes out. But I would like to give it a try.

Thanks for the double review!

Donna said...

Melissa - You're welcome, since others might have kiddos in the YA age range I thought it would be a cool idea to include Jessica's thoughts. She was excited when I asked her to write her thoughts for a review here. If you get the chance to read this one, do, you might like it more. I had seen other reviews that rated this one 4 and 5 stars. I like a fast pace in reading.

I had seen copies of it at Walmart today. :)

Abigail said...

I love that you reviewed this with your stepdaughter. I need to try that idea with my 16 year-old sister. And I love that this book finished strong...I hate when its the other way around.

Unknown said...

Hi Donna!

Great review for you and Jessica!!

Too cool that you and Jessica did the review together. I've tried to entice my daughter to do a review with me, but at 17, she's too embarrassed (?) maybe to let me include her thoughts. I also tried my 14 year son, but he doesn't like the same books as I do. :( I'm working on my niece though, so it could still happen.

I loved the feistiness of Lily's character (much like Jessica), she never backed down from a challenge and Scout was equally fun. I do agree that it's a little slow on the start, but to me, it seems like a lot of first in a series books are, I think it the explanations that slow it down, why our character is where they're at. It was definitely a great start for a new series and I'm patiently waiting for Book 2.

Thanks again for a great review and a special thank you to Jessica for sharing with us!!

Dottie :)

Blodeuedd said...

great idea Donna :=D
And it is sure fun to see what the target audience thinks

Mandi said...

Nice reviews

It lays a nice foundation for future books....I love Scout! She stole the book.

Donna said...

Abigail - I think in the YA genre it would be to see two point of views: an actual YA and an older adult. This book did have a strong finish, but first half was getting through the setup - I kept wanting more action.

Dottie - Good luck with the kiddos doing reviews. You never know maybe a book will hit them in a certain way one day and they'll feel the need to talk about it on your blog. And I agree that a lot of books are slow with setup but I still would've liked to seen more action or something more paranormal in the first half. That's just me though, I live for the action. :D

Blodeuedd - Thanks! Jessica was so happy to do this and she was so nervous. I didn't direct her in anyway. And I know she wants to do more and I plan on letting her.

Mandi - Jessica and I both liked Scout the best also. :)

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I love that you shared and included your daughter's thoughts in your review!

I mention in my review that it was very much a teen book, even though I liked it just fine, it wasn't as awesomely awesome as her Chicagoland Vampires books.

Thanks for linking to my review!

Smokinhotbooks said...

This is on my TBR pile, I love Chole Neill's Bites series, I'll have to give this one a go.

Great Review Donna!

Chris said...

I didn't even know she had another series!

Donna said...

Jessica - I agree with on every point. And your welcome!

KC - Thanks! I hope you review this one. Since I know your a huge Chloe Neill fan, I'd like to see what you think.

Chris - Yep! LOL! Have you read any books from her Chicagoland Vampires series?

Lea said...

Great review Donna and Jessica!

It's so great to see you enjoying a story together. I've read so much about Chloe Neill's books around Blogland, one of these day's I'm going to have to give her a try!


Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Donna said...

Thanks Lea! Jessica was very excited about doing this. When she comes back over and sees everyone's wonderful comments on her review she'll be ecstatic.

Yes, give Chloe Neill a try. Her Chicagoland Vampire is one of my favorites.

Carol said...

I love the cover and the reviews make me think I need to add it to my list.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010