Bad Moon Rising by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Bad Moon Rising by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Book 14, Dark-Hunter Series
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Year: 2009
Pages: 352
Author: Website | Twitter
Read an excerpt

Book Blurb:
In the world of the Were-Hunters, like stays with like. Species don't mix and they definitely don't fall in love. But from the moment Aimee Peltier took in a wounded wolf, her heart wouldn't listen to what her head told her.

However, Fang Kattalakis isn't just a wolf; he is the brother of two of the most powerful members of the Omegrion: the ruling council that enforces the laws of the lyncanthropes. His brothers are the wolf representatives and Aimee's mother represents the Bear clan. Aimee is the heir apparent for her species. There is no way these two can ever be together and they know it.

But when war comes to Sanctuary, the establishment run by Aimee's family, sides must be chosen and enemies are forced into shaky alliances. Aimee is accused of betraying her people, and her only hope is the one man who believes in her. Yet in order to save her, Fang must break the law of his people, and that breech could very well spell the end of both their races.
My Ramblings:

Fang is gorgeous and hot-headed, the type that acts first then thinks about his actions later. This gets Fang jumping from the frying pan into the fire on many occasions. He is also the type that once your his friend or someone he cares about, he loyalty is unquestionable. Aimee is a sassy, kindhearted and willing to stand up for what she believes in, she also has more than one secret that she kepts hidden, even from her family. Though they are both at odds with their attraction to each other, Fang and Aimee have an easy way with each other, that shows in the conversations between Fang and Aimee.

Like previous Dark-Hunter books, throughout the book you get regular doses of strong, territorial, alpha males, usually with cutting remarks and attitudes to match. And even though this was a Dark-Hunter book, there wasn't much said about them, only a few brief appearances by a couple of past Dark-Hunter characters. This was mainly a book on the Were-Hunters. Simi does makes an appearance and my favorite quote in the book is by her:

"We have three kinds of family. Those we are born to, those who are born to us, and those we let into our hearts."

Bad Moon Rising picks up around the same time period as Night Play, telling the story from Fang and Aimee's point of views, starting with when they first met and spans across past books. It was enjoyable and interesting to view the events as they saw it from their eyes but it started to feel as though I was getting a play by play from the other side of the court, a rehash of past books instead of reading a new story. More than half way through the book, it starts to pick up and get more interesting with new characters and another realm being introduced with added twists to the plot.

Overall, Bad Moon Rising was an enjoyable read, the ending of this book helped makeup for the slow start and I would recommend this book to readers of this series because of the character and realm introductions. Being a Menyon (Kenyon Minion), I plan on getting the next book in this series, which is Aimee's brother Dev Peltier's book Scars and Souvenirs, set to release on August 4, 2010.

The Dark-Hunters series are paranormal romances centered around shifters, vampires (these vamps aren't your typical vamps), and gods of different mythos. This series really should be read in order because of the complex system of characters and different realms that exist in the Dark-Hunters' world. By reading in order, a reader would better understand the background and nuances of each book, making them a more enjoyable read.

Dark-Hunters / Dream-Hunters Series in reading order:
I tried to put these in chronological order, and please note you do not have to read the short stories and novellas to keep up with the series.


Other Reviews:


16 comments:

Leontine said...

Loved your review Donna and I'm looking forward to reading up on Fang and Aimee's story. I always was intrigued with what was going on between them and Were-Hunter stories are among my favorite in the overall DH series. Vane and Wren, I can re-read those any time of the week!

Mandi said...

LOL - Menyon..I like it:)

I heard the story takes place years before and was wondering how that would play out. I prob won't mind a bit of rehashing because I have a hard time remembering what the heck is going on with who in this series.

One of my fav series though!

Donna said...

Leontine, for those that like to reread this will be a good book for them. Enjoy!

Mandi, this is one of my favorite series too. This book was enjoyable but not the best in the series, IMHO.

Zeek, I've noticed a lot people either loved this book or thought it was more of a rerun. Glad it was a great book for you. :)

Amy C said...

I'm looking forward to reading this, whenever I get it in the mail!
So glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Blodeuedd said...

Great review, ohhhh I lie Fang. he sounds nice. And it seems I left off at book4, need to get back

Nikki in Niagara said...

Thanks so much for the detailed list! I haven't read any of these books yet but have been meaning to and this list will certainly come in handy!

Michelle Greathouse said...

Donna,

Wonderful review. I'm glad to know you enjoyed this book. :) As a fellow Minion, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

M

Donna said...

Amy, I hope the book gets there soon for you. I hate it when I know a book is on way but it hasn't arrived yet. Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock. :D

I liked Fang's smart mouth, Blodeuedd. It definitely gets him in trouble.

Hi Nicola, glad it helps. I know when I first started this series a few months back, a series listing for the order was quite handy.

Thanks Michelle, hope you enjoy it!

Marnie said...

Thanks for the list- my mom wants to read the series and wanted to know the order this is really helpful.

Christine said...

Great review, Donna! It feels we've been waiting for Fang & Aimee's story for a long time, so I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

Great quote from Simi. She might be a bit flighty sometimes, but she's also capable of great insight.

That sure is a long list of Dark Hunter & Dream Hunter books. I can hardly believe I've read all but the last three releases!

Donna said...

Your welcome Marnie!

I know what you mean Christine about that huge book list and can you believe I roared through the backlist last September in less than a month's time? Of course I wasn't blogging or twittering, just devouring books back then. :)

Smokinhotbooks said...

This can stay between us, right? But, I did feel a tiny bit jipped that there was so much of the story repeated from Night Play *shrug*, but I count myself as a "Menyon," so I look past this minor detail. I'm sequeling b/c I was trying to find out what the next werehunter book would be, soooo glad I stopped by and read it on your post.

Donna said...

Yeah, I feel ya Smokinhotbooks. But it did get better at the end and it didn't bother me so bad the first part, it just that I like and prefer "new". I have an inquiring mind. LOL! Dev is such a tough guy. Yep, I like him.

Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thanks for the list!
I've read most of the Dark Hunter works but I've missed a few stories.
:)
All the best,
@RKCharron
xoxo

Lea said...

Hi Donna:

I've read most of the Dark Hunter series and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was waiting for a few reviews before I picked up this one but now that I've read your thoughts I'm going to add it to my list.

Thanks Donna!!

Great review as always.

Best
L

Anonymous said...

Well, no wonder I was laughed at when I said I thought Acheron was the first in the series at work...

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010