Books Bought & Received - 8/23/09

I haven't had very much time to read this past week, much to my dismay but I have been skipping around in The Eternal Kiss when I can. So far, most of the stories I've read are pretty enjoyable, a couple I didn't care to much for. I still have several more to get through before I can form a opinion of the anthology as a whole.

Today, we'll be traveling to help take some stuff for my son to UNT for the fall semester, and I don't have to do any of the driving, so I'm going to throw myself into Retribution.

Retribution by Jeanne C. Stein
Book 5, Anna Strong Vampire Chronicles
Release Date: August 25, 2009

Can you believe this, Borders had one copy of Retribution on it's shelves on Friday night!! I was going to cancel my pre-order to Amazon and order this from B&N since they were shipping early a week ago but I decided to wait because I knew I couldn't read it this past week. But when I seen this at Borders I couldn't resist. Temptation at it's finest.

Book Burb from Amazon.com

With her partner out of town, her family abroad, and her mentor estranged, newly-turned vampire Anna Strong is keeping a low profile.

But now young vampires are turning up dead, completely drained of their life force. And though Anna wants to say no when Williams, her former teacher and now leader of a supernatural enforcement squad, asks for her help, she can't. But soon, she'll wish she did.

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
Book 2, Alpha and Omega Series
Release Date: August 25, 2009

While picking up some last minutes items for my son's dorm at Walmart I found Hunting Ground. I was very surprise to say the least about finding this book there this past Saturday.

Book Blurb from Amazon.com:

Mated to werewolf Charles Cornick, the son -and enforcer -of the leader of the North American werewolves, Anna Latham now knows how dangerous being a werewolf is, especially when a werewolf opposes Charles and his father is struck down. Charles's reputation makes him the prime suspect, and the penalty for the crime is execution. Now Anna and Charles must combine their talents to hunt down the real killer -or Charles will take the fall.

Staked by J.F. Lewis
Book 1, Void City Series

I won this lovely book and Norse Code in the August Contest from Anna at Anna's Book Blog. Thank you Anna!!

Book Burb from Amazon.com

UNREPENTANT. UNIMPRESSED.AND TOTALLY UNDEAD.

Eric's got issues. He has short-term and long-term memory problems; he can't remember who he ate for dinner yesterday, much less how he became a vampire in the first place. His best friend, Roger, is souring on the strip club he and Eric own together. And his girlfriend, Tabitha, keeps pressuring him to turn her so she can join him in undeath. It's almost enough to put a Vlad off his appetite. Almost.

Eric tries to solve one problem, only to create another: he turns Tabitha into a vampire, but finds that once he does, his desire for her fades -- and her younger sister, Rachel, sure is cute. And when he kills a werewolf in self-defense, things really get out of hand. Now a pack of born-again lycanthropes is out for holy retribution, while Tabitha and Rachel have their own agendas -- which may or may not include helping Eric stay in one piece.

All Eric wants to do is run his strip club, drink a little blood, and be left alone. Instead, he must survive car crashes, enchanted bullets, sunlight, sex magic, and werewolves on ice -- not to mention his own nasty temper and forgetfulness.

Because being undead isn't easy, but it sure beats the alternative.

Norse Code by Greg van Eekhout

This looks to be a stand alone. I couldn't find any information on whether this book was part of a series or not.

Book Burb from Amazon.com

Is this Ragnarok, or just California?

The NorseCODE genome project was designed to identify descendants of Odin. What it found was Kathy Castillo, a murdered MBA student brought back from the dead to serve as a valkyrie in the Norse god’s army. Given a sword and a new name, Mist’s job is to recruit soldiers for the war between the gods at the end of the world—and to kill those who refuse to fight.

But as the twilight of the gods descends, Mist makes other plans.

Journeying across a chaotic American landscape already degenerating into violence and madness, Mist hopes to find her way to Helheim, the land of the dead, to rescue her murdered sister from death’s clutches. To do so, she’ll need the help of Hermod, a Norse god bumming around Los Angeles with troubles of his own. Together they find themselves drafted into a higher cause, trying to do what fate long ago deemed could not be done: save the world of man. For even if myths aren’t made to be broken, it can’t hurt to go down fighting…can it?

Demon Dreamer by Vivi Anna

I won this novella over at Lauren Dane's blog during her Laid Bare with Flair Contest. Isn't the cover just gorgeous?

Book Burb from Samhain Publishing

Submission is the only path to his salvation…

A Captive Souls story.

Born a seer, Kiara Brodie has always been feared for her power to see others’ fantasies. She’s fine with that—it keeps the men of her Irish Gypsy caravan at bay. She wants more than this transient life. A letter from her estranged father, summoning her to Louisiana, could be her long-awaited chance to put down roots.

She finds two half-sisters she never knew she had, and an old mansion haunted by a darkly sexy demon who inhabits her dreams. At night he whispers to her of carnal delight, enticing her on a journey of extreme pleasure—and pain.

Malvo knows just what to do with the curious woman who wandered into his lair behind the library bookcase—lock the door behind her and make her a lustful proposition she can’t refuse. He seeks to temporarily ease his lonely torment, but Kiara’s willing and wanton response opens his eyes to the possibility that she is his path to his own salvation.

If only she is willing to remain captive to his every sinful desire—forever…

Warning: Contains every sinful fantasy you have ever secretly entertained—including some of the deadly ones. Being bad was never oh, so good!

19 comments:

Janicu said...

I bought Hunting Ground too! Just waiting for it to come in the mail. *impatient foot tapping*. :)

SusiSunshine said...

Great selection you got there. I'm very curious about the Anna Strong Vampire Chronicles but I think I have to start with the first book.
I also wait for my Hunting Ground copy to arrive.
Hope everything went good with your boy.
Have a nice Sunday,
Susi

Chris said...

I would love to have a print of the cover of Demon Dreamer!

Leontine said...

That is quite a few new additions to your shelf, especially this one sounds interesting to me: Norse Code by Greg van Eekhout

His surname sounds Dutch. Anyway, your up for quit some pleasurable reading hours :D

Blodeuedd said...

Oh great books for you!! :D
I am really interested in the Norse books since I know everything about the mythology cos of where I am from.
And of course the rest looks awesome too

Amy C said...

Hi Donna,

I still need to read Cry Wolf! I've had it for so long, I really need to get it read!

MrsMixx said...

I absolutely loved Staked! i hope you enjoy reading it
My copy of retribution will be in my mailbox tomorrow yay!
I haven't read Norse Code but i've heard good things about it =)
Have fun reading

Unknown said...

I love the sound of all your books! Some of them are going on my tbr list. Hope you enjoy reading them all! :)

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

Lovely books! Congrats on winning those books from Anna =) Norse Code was one of my choices too.

I hope you enjoy these when you get the time to read them

Moira Rogers - Bree said...

Oooh, I can't wait for Hunting Ground! I'll have to check my preorder status!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

So many good books, I'm sure it's hard to decide what order to read them in!!

Mandi said...

They all look great - I can't wait for Hunting Ground!

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Hunting Ground will be a book I wait to read for when I need a fix that hits just the right spot. Or what others refer to as reading slumps. :)

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I haven't read any of the vampire chronicles yet, but heard good things about them. I love the cover of Demon Dreamer!

Lea said...

Great haul there Donna. I've got Demon Dreamer on my wish list. It sounds excellent.

Best
L

-.- said...

I'm excited to see what happens in Retribution. Though, seeing Hunting Ground makes me realize that I have to read my copy of Cry Wolf sooner, rather than later.

Staked looks really good too. Hope you enjoy your books!

~ Popin

Donna said...

Janicu - I still can't believe Walmart has this book out on the shelves pre-release date.

SusiSunshine - I bet you'll like the Anna Strong Chronicles. :)

Chris - same here! I feel in love with the cover to Demon Dreamer the first time I laid eyes on it.

Leontine & Blodeuedd - I'm looking forward to reading Norse Code, I was so happy when I found out I had won it over at Anna's

Amy C. - Same here! I'm so behind!

Donna said...

pattepoilue - I can't wait to see what you think of Retribution, I've only read the first 60 pages so far.

Book Chick City - Thanks! :)

Mishel - Thanks! I was lucky on that one. :)

Bree - I enjoy your enthusiasm for the books you love!!! It's contagious.

Patti - Sheesh! No kidding, plus the books already sitting on the shelves waiting for me to read.

Donna said...

Mandi - Love to hear your thoughts on Hunting Ground.

Jessica - I tend to devour those type of books when I get them. I have not will power. LOL!

Buckeye Girl - I hope you give the Anna Strong Vampire Chronicles a try.

Lea - Thanks! I'm going to read Demon Dreamer soon, very soon.

PopinFresh - You sound like me, so behind on the books you want to read. :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010