Books Bought & Received - 7/26/09

The First Sign of the Zodiac
The Scent of Shadows by Vicki Pettersson

I received this book as part of the Autograph Game started by Cassandra Curtis. It's my turn to read The Scent of Shadows. I'm so excited to be a part of this game plus this is a series I've been wanting to read for awhile. I've never done something like this before. So this book is my next read.

Synopsis from author's website
When she was sixteen, Joanna Archer was brutally assaulted and left to die in the Nevada desert.

By rights, she should be dead.

Now a photographer by day, she prowls a different Las Vegas after sunset – a grim, secret Sin City where Light battles Shadow – seeking answers to whom or what she really is ... and revenge for the horrors she was forced to endure.

But the nightmare is just beginning – for the demons are hunting Joanna, and the powerful Shadows want her for their own...

The Light of Burning Shadows by Chris Evans
Book Two of the Iron Elves
I won this book over at Graeme's Fantasy Book Review. The amazing thing is I won it this past weekend and received it in the mail on Thursday. So, I'm ordering book one this week. Yep, that's all I need is another excuse to buy another book. Actually, I was already going to get the first book because Anna's spotlight on the this book, over at Anna's Book Blog.

Synopsis from Amazon.com

"They might be doomed, damned, and buggered for all eternity, but that didn't mean they couldn't sparkle like a diamond in the sun and grin like a skull in the moonlight on their way to oblivion."

Musket and cannon, bow and arrow, and magic and diplomacy vie for supremacy once again in this second epic fantasy adventure from acclaimed author Chris Evans. As the human-dominated Calahrian Empire struggles to maintain its hold on power in the face of armed rebellion from within, the Iron Elves' perilous quest to defeat the power-hungry elf witch, the Shadow Monarch, takes on greater urgency.

The Iron Elves, shunned by their own people for bearing the mark of the Shadow Monarch, and desperately wanting to forever erase this shame, became legendary for their prowess on the battlefield as the Calahrian Imperial Army's elite shock troops. But when their commanding officer, Konowa Swift Dragon, murdered the Viceroy of Elfkyna, he was exiled, and these brave elves were banished to a remote desert outpost, doomed and leaderless, their honor in tatters.

Recalled to duty to reform his regiment from the dregs of the Imperial Army, Konowa thwarted the plans of the Shadow Monarch at the Battle of Luuguth Jor -- ensuring that the fabled Red Star, a source of great natural energy, did not fall into Her hands. Now Konowa must cross storm-tossed seas to seek out the lost elves and the prophesied return of another Star somewhere in a desert wasteland roiling with mysterious power, infernos of swirling magic, and legends brought back to life in new and terrible ways. And the fate of every living creature will come to depend on a small band of ragged and desperate soldiers, whose very loyalty to the Empire they have sworn to serve is no longer certain. When death is but a temporary condition, a terrifying question arises: who is the true ally -- and fearsome enemy -- in a growing conflict that threatens all?

Personal Demons by Stacia Kane
Megan Chase/Demon Book 1
Bought at The Book Cellar (local bookstore)
I bought this book after reading Stacia Kane's Dame for a Day Post over at Deadline Dames.

Synopsis from author's website

“Hi! How may I slay your personal demons?”

When psychological counselor Megan Chase promises listeners to her new radio call-in show she’ll slay their personal demons, they believe her. So do the personal demons.

Megan doesn’t know she’s the only human alive without a personal demon on her shoulder. This, coupled with her psychic abilities, makes her a valuable weapon for any demon mob-like “family” lucky enough to gain her allegiance. It also makes her a serious threat not just to the personal demons, but to a soul-sucking Legion of Hell known as The Accuser. The Accuser already has an old score to settle with Megan, and sees this as the perfect time to do it.

But Megan isn’t without allies as she’s plunged back into a world she forgot existed. A member of a competing demon family sees Megan as his ticket to power, and sets about both protecting and seducing her with devilish intensity.

Can Megan, her new demon lover, a witch with poor social skills, and three cockney guard demons named Malleus, Maleficarum, and Spud defeat not only The Accuser, the personal demons, and the ghosts of Megan’s past, but the reporter who threatens to destroy Megan’s career as well?

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent
Bought at Amazon.com when I heard they were already shipping this book. My stepdaughter and I are both wanting to read this book. She has already read the prequel, so she primed to read it now. I plan to read the prequel today before I start The Scent of Shadows.

Synopsis from author's website

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH KAYLEE CAVANAUGH

She doesn't see dead people, but...

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about the need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next...

SOUL SCREAMERS
The last thing you hear before you die...

12 comments:

Brooke Reviews said...

The Zodiac series is stellar. I adore it. Also, Personal Demons is a favorite of mine!

Jeff C said...

Hope you like the Evans more than me. I reviewed it last summer and wasnt too impressed. It did have some good points, and could be talked into giving book 2 a go, depending on the reviews. Or, this might be a Kindle only purchase, to minimize my expense in case I don't like it :)

Mandi said...

I have first three Vicki Pettersson books in my tbr! I have heard such good things about them:)

Lea said...

Great books there Donna!

I've heard great thinks about Vicki Patterson's work and I love Rachel Vincent!

I hope you enjoy. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog, it's always nice to see your note.

I hope you had a great weekend.

Best
L

Amy C said...

My mom read personal demons and she really liked it!

The Iron Elves series sounds good :). I have it listed for potential books to buy.

Blodeuedd said...

The Chris Evans book looks so nice! i can't wait to hear what you think.

Donna said...

Hi Brooke, Mandi & Lea - I'm pretty excited about reading The Scent of Shadows. I've seen so many good things said about this series. Plus, it's been on my TBR wishlist for awhile.

Hi Jeff, Amy & Blodeuedd - I've been eyeballing the first book in the Iron Elves series for awhile. I hope it turns out to be a good read. I'll let you know.

Beth said...

Nice selection!

I've given you an award! http://bethsbookreviewblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/awards-kreative-blogger.html

Michelle Greathouse said...

Donna,

I love the Zodiac series. :) I am reading (trying to read) A Darkness Forged in Fire...but it is just slow going right now - I'm hoping it will pick up.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Stacia Kane book - it is on my wish list. :)

M

Donna said...

Hi Beth, thank you for the award! :)


Hi Michelle, I stayed up too late last night reading The Scent of Shadows, I didn't want to put it down. So, I was really dragging my tail today. Jeff C. said he had a hard time A Darkness Forged in Fire. The odds are not sounding good for that book, maybe I'll get the ebook.

Unknown said...

Love Vicki Petterson and Rachel Vincent, can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Dottie :)

Donna said...

Hi Dottie, so far I've been really enjoying Vicki Petterson's book. I hope to have it finished by this weekend.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010