Seduce the Darkness by Gena Showalter

Seduce the Darkness by Gena Showalter

Seduce the Darkness by Gena Showalter
Alien Huntress Series, Book 6
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Year: 2009
Author's Website | Twitter
Read Chapter 1

Book Blurb:
SHE HAS A BODY MADE FOR TEMPTATION . . .
AND A KISS TO DIE FOR.

The war between otherworlders and humans changed Earth beyond recognition. It also saved Bride McKells’ life. Before, the gorgeous vampire was a target for every fanatic with a stake and a crucifix. Now she’s free to roam the streets—and desperate to find others of her kind. One man claims to have the answers she seeks. Devyn, King of the Targons, is a warrior and a womanizer, and he makes no secret of how much he wants Bride—and how dangerous he could be to her in every way.

An avid collector of women, Devyn easily seduces human and otherworlder alike. Until now. Not only does Bride resist him, but she leaves Devyn feeling something entirely new . . . a bone-deep need bordering on obsession. Her blood is the key to curing a vicious alien disease, but helping Bride uncover her origins will compel her to choose between electrifying passion and a destiny that could tear her from Devyn’s side forever.
My Ramblings:

I didn't read the previous books in the Alien Huntress Series, but I didn't have any problems keeping up with the story and I don't feel like it took anything away from the story. Although, there were times throughout the book, that I did wonder about one or two of the other characters' back story. So, to find out their stories you can be sure I'll be reading the previous books.

This is a futuristic, paranormal romance set in Chicago, water is now a very precious commodity, so much so that people don't bath with it anymore. They use enzyme baths, a mist stray system that cleans you without water. Fruit and vegetables are synthetically reproduced. Bride McKells' has been on her own ever since she woke up on the streets of Chicago, not being able to remember who is or where she has come from. She has spent much of her time alone, trying to find out who she is and any information on vampires because she doesn't know a thing about either. As far as Bride know, she is the only vampire in existence because she has never met another. Bride needs to learn what she can about vampires, besides what she has read in books, because lately she has had a problem with the blood she drinks, after the first few drops, she gets sick. She is out one evening, contemplating drinking from a stranger when she smells a delicious, familiar scent in the air. A scent that reminds Bride of the only friend she has ever had and lost long ago. Bride follows the scent straight to Devyn.

Devyn, King of the Targons, is an agent for AIR, Alien Investigation and Removal, with a voracious appetite for women and a very narcissistic personality. He is also a very sexy guy dripping with seduction, that turns heads where ever he goes. But he likes variety in his sexual conquests and doesn't like bedding the same species more than once. So, are your hackles raised yet about Devyn? When Devyn runs into Bride, he knows that she is not human but he's not sure what species she is, so he is intrigued by her and pursues her until he finds out she is a vampire. He's had a vampire before so he quickly loses interests, but yet he can't stop thinking about Bride. When their paths cross again, they find out Bride's blood is a cure to an alien virus, that was once thought to be a catastrophic, incurable disease. Now Bride is an even more a mysterious attraction for Devyn, which puzzles and worries him.

Seduce the Darkness is told in the third person, so we get a glimpse into what the characters are thinking and feeling. Bride is loner, someone who is use to being on her own but she is also tough and doesn't let anyone take advantage of her. Devyn's character, at first you just want to hate, maybe kick a few a times because he is so full of himself and his own self worth. The sexual tension between Bride and Devyn is building thing. Devyn readily admits his attraction to Bride, while Bride tries fighting the attraction because she doesn't want to be another conquest and get her heart broken in the process. Of course, Bride's refusal of Devyn's advances is just more fuel to the fire, he's not use to getting turned down. Bride is forced to work with Devyn, because he knows answers to her mysterious vampire race and the where a bouts of her lost friend. And the only way she's going to get those answers is to put up with Devyn.

There are a quite a few twist and turns in the plot that keep your interest piqued throughout the story. I like the different alien characters involved in this story, it gave a sort of a Star Wars type feel to it - I racked my brain trying to think of a show or movie to compare but I keep coming back to Star Wars. The banter between Bride and Devyn is sharp, witty and fun, as the story starts to develop you start to see how these two completely different personality types compliment each other. There is plenty of romance, and the seduction in the story is fabulous, when it final climaxes, you'll sigh in relief from the tension that has built up to that point. No pun intend. In comparing this story to the Lords of the Underworld series, I would say it was a lighter read not as dark. There is also a side story that subtly develops, so you get an idea of what the next book could be about but it doesn't over run the main story line. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a futuristic, paranormal romance that is fast paced, amusing and packed full of passion with a healthy dose of sexual tension.

On Goodreads I gave this book: 4 Stars

Alien Huntress Series:

Other Reviews:
If you have a review let me know and I will link it here.




12 comments:

Mandi said...

I love romantic tension, when the author really makes you work for it:)

I have never read Gena Showalter...I really need to add her to my tbr!

Leontine said...

Wonderful review Donna :D I haven't read one single book in this series yet but Devyn feels like he is very much my kind of hero. Thanks for the rec!

Lea said...

Excellent review Donna!

I thoroughly enjoy paranormal romance and sexual tension? - yum...

Thank you for sharing.
L

Anna said...

Hi Donna,

Glad you enjoyed this one. Hope you get a chance to read the previous books. :)

Donna said...

@Mandi - Oh, do add her to your list! You won't be sorry. I love the Lords of the Underworld series.

@Leontine - I like having my mind changed about characters, several times throughout a story. Keeps things interesting.

@Lea - Yep, this a very sexually charged story! You could play it like a guitar the sexually tension is so tight.

@Anna - I do plan on collecting & reading the other books, need to know the back story on a couple of the other characters.

Michelle Greathouse said...

Donna,

I've read the first book in this series and need to pick up the rest. :) Thanks for the wonderful review.

M

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I plan to read this soon. Gena's books are always something I turn to when I need a safe read. She's so amazing I know I will not be disappointed.

K.C.(aka smokinhotbooks) said...

Great review! Spot on with the star wars vibe, I also thought Underworld Revolution for the vampire cave scenes for some reason. The beauty of this book is you don't have to read her previous bks, but Enslave me Sweetly is a good one b/c that is where he is first introduced :)

ttyl

Donna said...

@Michelle G - I plan getting the other books too. :)

@Jessica - I know what you mean that, after reading Seduce the Darkness especially. I love the Lords of the Underworld series, Aug. 25th can't come fast enough!

@KC - Your right about the Underworld reference, absolutely agree! The story really was delicious.

@Buckeye Girl - Gena Showalter is now for sure on my auto buy list! Thank you for the award. :)

SusiSunshine said...

In never thought of it but I think the Star Wars comparison has something to it. I totally loved this book and especially Devyn. I think I read nearly everything by Gena Showalter and I love her style. She makes me laugh and she can make me cry. My favorite ones are The Darkest Kiss(Anya is just...a great character) and Playing with Fire(very,very funny!!!).
Great review!

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi Donna - I haven't had the chance to pick this one up yet, thanks for the great review! :)

Donna said...

Hi Kimberly - Thank you! It's a fast read, much like Gena's other books. Very enjoyable.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010