Darkness Calls - Hunter Kiss, Book 2 by Marjorie M. Liu

Darkness Calls by Marjorie M. LiuDarkness Calls by Marjorie M. Liu
Hunter Kiss Series, Book 2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Year: 2009
Pages: 303
Author's Website | Twitter
Read an Excerpt

Book Blurb:
They are the obsidian shadows of my flesh - tattoos with minds, hearts, and dreams. By day, they protect me. But when night calls to them, they leave my body, dissolving into their true form - as demons…

Nomad born and bred, demon hunter Maxine Kiss has always relied upon herself to fight the darkness that surrounds her, the predators-human, zombie, and otherwise - who threaten the earth. But one man has penetrated her lonely life: Grant, the last of his kind. With music he is able to control any living creature…including demons. And now his life is in danger.

Haunted by the past, determined to change the future, Maxine soon understands that to save Grant, she has only one choice-to lose control, and release her own powers of darkness…
My Ramblings:

Darkness Calls begins shortly after the ending of The Iron Hunt, the first book in the Hunter Kiss Series. You will find the same exquisite story telling style that was displayed in The Iron Hunt, and the action is pretty much non-stop from start to finish, gritty and dark in nature as before, moving at a faster clip than the first book. A couple of new characters are introduced, helping spice up the storyline and some answers are given to the questions left dangling from the first book.

I want to say, I adore the boys! The boys, Maxine's living, demon tattoos, are indestructible, sharp as obsidian, yet soft and adorable at the same time. It depends on if they consider you friend or foe, which side of them you get to see. I loved how the boys would hum a Bon Jovi song that would fit the situation at hand throughout the book. It helped heighten the drama and give you a feel for that scene.

"Their tiny claws pricked my skin like kneading cats, and their soft, high-pitched hum of Bon Jovi's "Social Disease" filled the air."

Maxine's and Grant's roles are almost a reversal from the usual boy/girl relationship. Usually, you see the guy as the dark, brooding, kick your ass personality in the relationship but not here. That's Maxine's role. Don't interpret that as Grant is a pansy because he's not. Grant can definitely take care of his own and then some. Grant is Maxine's lighthouse when the waters are dark and rough.

This series should be read in order, especially since The Iron Hunt sets the back story for the Hunter Kiss Series. As you can probably tell, I'm hooked on the Hunter Kiss Series, I'll be looking for the next novel when it comes out.


Hunter Kiss Series:

Other Reviews:




5 comments:

Mandi said...

This series looks so good. I definitely need to get the first book. Nice review!

Donna said...

Thanks Mandi! It is a good series, I really enjoy Marjorie M. Liu's writting style. I just can't give it justice in my description though I tried.

P.S. Glad to see you back!

Shaymless Aymless said...

I love this series so far. Its so much darker and grittier than others in the genre it makes for a great change of pace. Love that Ms Liu has taken the "damned if you do and damned if you don't" to such great level. Definitely one of my favorites this year.

I second Donna! MUST READ THESE IN ORDER!

KT Grant said...

This was my first read by Liu and won't be my last.Darkness Calls may be the darkest book I read this year.

Donna said...

Hi Aymless - I agree with you, these books are very dark compared to a lot of other UF books, which is the reason why I like them so much. It appeals to my darker side. ;)

Hi Katiebabs - The Iron Hunt was the first book of M. Liu that I read, it reeled me in. I'm so glad I decided to pick it up.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010