Some Girls Bite - Chicagoland Vampires, Book 1 by Chloe Neill

Some Girls Bite by Chloe NeillSome Girls Bite by Chloe Neill
Book 1, Chicagoland Vampires
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Year: 2009
Pages: 341
Read Chapter 1
Author: Website | Twitter

Book Blurb:
They killed me. They healed me. They changed me.

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was mine. I was doing fine until Chicago's vampires announced their existence to the world-and then a rogue vampire attacked me. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker... and this one decided the best way to save my life was to make me the walking undead.

Turns out my savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now I've traded sweating over my thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four hundred year old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects my gratitude-and servitude. Right...

But my burgeoning powers (all of a sudden, I'm surprisingly handy with some serious weaponry), an inconvenient sunlight allergy, and Ethan's attitude are the least of my concerns. Someone's still out to get me. Is it the rogue vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches?

My initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood...

My Ramblings:

I absolutely loved Some Girls Bite! It was a pure enjoyment to read and is going down in my list of top reads this year. A lot times a book can get bogged down with laying out the ground work for the story but you won't get that in this book. Not one bit. Everything is so well laid out and interwoven throughout the book, this story just flows seamlessly. This book isn't one of the darker Urban Fantasy books, it's of the lighter variety with tension filled moments.

Merit is sensible with a bit of snarky attitude and a stubborn streak, which lands her in a few hot spots with Ethan Sullivan, the master vampire of Cadogan House, who expect total submission from his subjects. Merit and Ethan are a prime example of opposites attract.

The secondary characters help strengthen the backbone of this book but they don't overpower Merit's story, they only contribute to it, helping to endear you to them and Merit. Camaraderie shared between Merit and her friends remind me of the interaction between Buffy and her friends on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Some Girls Bite was an exhilarating read with some unexpected turns in the plot that will leave you surprised and wishing that the next installment of this series was already on the shelves time you finish reading it. If you haven't read Some Girls Bite, don't wait any longer. Go out and get this book, you will not be disappointed.

The second book Friday Night Bites releases on October 6, 2009, that's one Tuesday release day that can't come soon enough.


Chicagoland Vampires Series:
  1. Some Girls Bite
  2. Friday Night Bites - October 6, 2009

Other Reviews:

12 comments:

Mandi said...

I want this book! I am #173 in line at PBS. That will not do! May have to sneak off to Amazon...

Nice review!!

Donna said...

Hi Mandi, this was an awesome read, a page turner. I wouldn't blame you for buying it. You really wouldn't be disappointed.

Michelle Greathouse said...

Hi Donna,

Wonderful review. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed this book. :) I can't wait for Friday Night Bites.

M

Angiegirl said...

I keep hearing nothing but good about this one. I can't wait for it now! Thanks for the review.

Donna said...

Hi Michelle, I'm so ready for the next book!

Hi Angiegirl, I got this book when it first released in April and I was going to read right away but I got side tracked. I'm glad I made the time for it now. :)

Blodeuedd said...

That good :D
Sounds nice, it goes on my list, cos I will spend more, just have to figure out what to buy

Donna said...

Hi Blodeuedd, my list is huge! I usually buy on whims, then check and see if the book was on my list. ;)

SusiSunshine said...

On my list now. Sounds great. I decided today to make a plan for next week. I will make a shopping list and order them all on Wednesday so I can start reading on Friday after my last exam. I think this whole thing backfired a bit- don't think it saved money after all.
Great review!

Donna said...

LOL! SusiSunshine cutting out the pleasure reading I think is the hardest thing to do, especially when the reading for school is very dry. I hope you get some reads ordered. Thanks!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

This book is on my keeper shelf! Great review, can't wait for Friday Night Bites...

MrsMixx said...

i just LOVED this book! it's funny and witty. I can't wait to read Friday Night Bites. I found it by accident while searching for another book ans now i'm completely addicted *grins*

Lou said...

This is definitely going on my wishlist. :D

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010