Books Bought & Received - 9/6/09

Rosemary and Rue: An October Daye Novel by Seanan McGuire

I bought this at Borders, I couldn't resist all the great reviews I've read about this book plus I've wanted to read since I saw it mentioned at Lurve a la Mode.

Book Burb from Amazon.com

October "Toby" Daye, a changeling who is half human and half fae, has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the Faerie world, retreating to a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world has other ideas...

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Evening's dying curse, which binds her to investigate, Toby must resume her former position as knight errant and renew old alliances. As she steps back into fae society, dealing with a cast of characters not entirely good or evil, she realizes that more than her own life will be forfeited if she cannot find Evening's killer.

Drawn into Darkness by Annette McCleave

I bought this at Walmart, yet another book that the reviews I read lead me to buying this book.

Book Blurb from Amazon.com

Serving a five-hundred-year sentence as a Soul Gatherer-one who battles demons for the souls of the dead-Lachlan MacGregor keeps his distance from humans. That is, until the lovely Rachel Lewis knocks on his door, begging for help.

As they struggle to rescue her daughter from the clutches of a powerful demon, Lachlan finds himself increasingly drawn to the artistic single mother. But when Death assigns him an unbearable task, he's left wondering who will provide more for his soul.

What A Dragon Should Know by G.A. Aiken
Book 3, Dragon Kin Series

I bought this at a local bookstore, The Book Cellar. I haven't even read the first two books in this series but Amy ( who I'm going miss tremendously in the blogosphere! ) at Romance Book Wyrm has me convinced this is a must read series. I have the first two books already, just need the time to read them.

Book Burb from Amazon.com

Only for those I love would I traipse into the merciless Northlands to risk life, limb, and my exquisite beauty. But do they appreciate it? Do they say, 'Gwenvael the Handsome, you are the best among us - the most loved of all dragons?' No! For centuries my family has refused to acknowledge my magnificence as well as my innate humility. Yet for them, and because I am so chivalrous, I will brave the worst this land has to offer. So here I stand, waiting to broker an alliance with the one the Northlanders call The Beast. A being so fearful, the greatest warriors will only whisper its name. Yet I, Gwenvael, will courageously face down this terrifying...woman? It turns out the Beast, a.k.a. Dagmar Reinholdt, is a woman - one with steel-gray eyes and a shocking disregard for my good looks. Beneath her plain robes and prim spectacles lies a sensual creature waiting to be unleashed. Who better than a dragon to thaw out that icy demeanor? And who better than a beast to finally tame a mighty dragon's heart?

Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin
Book 1, Jaz Parks Series

I bought this at The Book Cellar also. I've been seeing a lot posts on this series so I thought I would give it a shot.

Book Burb from Amazon.com

I'm Jaz Parks. My boss is Vayl, born in Romania in 1744. Died there too, at the hand of his vampire wife, Liliana. But that's ancient history. For the moment Vayl works for the C.I.A. doing what he does best--assassination. And I help. You could say I'm an Assistant Assassin. But then I'd have to kick your ass.

Our current assignment seemed easy. Get close to a Miami plastic surgeon named Assan, a charmer with ties to terrorism that run deeper than a buried body. Find out what he's meeting with that can help him and his comrades bring America to her knees. And then close his beady little eyes forever. Why is it that nothing's ever as easy as it seems?


18 comments:

Marissa said...

I have read Once Bitten Twice Shy. It was great. I got the free ebook, and now I am looking to get some of her other books.
~Marissa

SusiSunshine said...

I've got Once bitten, Twice Shy in my tbr and I'm totally curious about Drawn Into Darkness. Can't wait to here what you think about it.

Donna said...

Marissa - Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading this one, must be good since fifth book in the series is coming out.

Susi - I'm kinda excited about Drawn into Darkness, sounds a bit different.

Wendy said...

Once Bitten, Twice Shy is awesome! Hope you like it. And I can't wait to read Rosemary and Rue! Sounds really good.

Anna said...

I've read the first book in G.A. Aiken's Dragon Kin series and loved it. Funny too!

Michelle Greathouse said...

Donna,

I've read Once Bitten, Twice Shy. It was pretty good. :)

I received Rosemary & Rue in the mail this week. I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

I can't wait for your review on Drawn Into Darkness. I've been looking at that one.

M

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these--especially Rosemary and Rue, which I loved.

Unknown said...

Hi Donna!

You've picked up several books on my TBB list, Drawn to Darkness, Rosemary and Rue, the entire Dragon Kin Series, and the Jaz Parks Series.

Dang, I guess we must have the same list, because I think I named everyone of the books you bought, lol.

Happy reading she says enviously.

Dottie :)

Chris said...

Oh, thanks for reminding me that Once Bitten, Twice Shy is on my ereader! Sounds like a good vacation read...

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I keep circling around Once Bitten, Twice Shy, I don't know why I'm afraid I'm not going to like it (those are usually the ones I end up loving!). Am looking forward to your review.

Blodeuedd said...

I do love the cover on that last one, the book looks fun :)
Great week for you, some nice buys in there

Carolyn Crane said...

Oooh, Rosemary and Rue. I love all these sort of mystery-centered UF's coming out. Roo always makes me think of Roo from Winnie the Pooh, and oddly that has put me off the book - I only just realized this now, but like you, I've seen so much positive buzz on this one, I have to go for it.

Kimberly Swan said...

Some great picks Donna, I've read a few of them. :)

Roni Loren said...

Great list, look forward to the reviews.

Jacqueline C. said...

I need to get around to reading Rosemary and Rue soon...Once Bitten, Twice Shy is fluffy but cute. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Donna said...

Wendy - Thanks! I'm always glad to see someone liked a book I got, makes me want to read it even more.

Anna - I'm looking forward to reading the Dragon Kin series, everyone seems to like this series. I don't think I've run into anyone who hasn't.

Michelle G. - We have the same taste in books! Too Cool!

TJ - I can't wait to read Rosemary and Rue! Good to see you like it. Pumps me up even more about reading it.

Hey Dottie! You, me and Michelle G must be hive minded this past week. :)

Donna said...

Chris - Sure anytime!! Let me know what you think about Once Bitten, Twice Shy, you'll probably get to it before I will.

Patti - Isn't that the truth! I've had the fever series on my shelves for months and I'm just now reading them. You know what? I.Love.Each.Book!

Blodeuedd - Thanks! I like the cover too. I was lucky to get a trade paperback.

Carolyn - LOL! Roo - Pooh! I'm excited about Rosemary and Rue, it's suppose to put a neat spin on the 'ol fairy tales we grew up with.

Donna said...

Kimberly - Thanks! To think I was holding this past week, there were so many good new releases.

FictionGroupie - Thanks! Glad you stopped by. :)

Jacqueline - Thanks! The cover to Once Bitten, Twice Shy kinda gives you that impression when you look at, guess the art department nailed that one.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from everyone. Tell me what your thinking.


Free counters!
Flag Counter added on October 8, 2010